starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: looking for a 2.5 inch deadlifting belt

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    You almost definitely can use a 4" for squats and presses, and if you can, you should. The 3" or 2.5" is better for deadlifts for many people, and as far as I can tell, it's a matter of personal preference for bench. I'm a short guy with a short torso, and I squat and press in a 4" and bench and deadlift in a 2.5" I've coached maybe 3 people for whom a 4" was too wide even for squats. While we may still debate the exact mechanism of the action of the muscles' interaction with the belt, I think everybody agrees that you want as much support as possible.
    3"'belt squatting when I gets heavier feels like a garrote to me. I for sure feel stronger w with a 4. I go back and forth on deadlifts 3-4"but my deadlift is a mess so. Yah.

I went ahead and ordered the 3 inch GLC belt. The 4'' just doesn't work well for the deadlift for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    Lol. John Hanley ended up with the one I had, he also laughed and got rid of it.
    I still have it and still like it, but if you guys want to arrange to buy, ridicule, and sell a 3" belt I won't complain. Royal Blue is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by murphyreedus View Post
    I still have it and still like it, but if you guys want to arrange to buy, ridicule, and sell a 3" belt I won't complain. Royal Blue is nice.
    Nope, I wont be buying a 3" belt. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by heavyiron8 View Post
    I went ahead and ordered the 3 inch GLC belt. The 4'' just doesn't work well for the deadlift for me.
    I wear it for pressing, too.

Didn't rip recommend using a narrower belt for deads and he said it's harder for some people to get into extension?

I above a 10mm inzer, not sure if the width, but I can dead lift in it because I end up doing a rounded straight leg dead with it.

I was trying to search but must have been doing it wrong since nothing came up.

Quote Originally Posted by MEbigUsmall View Post
    Didn't rip recommend using a narrower belt for deads and he said it's harder for some people to get into extension?

I above a 10mm inzer, not sure if the width, but I can dead lift in it because I end up doing a rounded straight leg dead with it.

I was trying to search but must have been doing it wrong since nothing came up.
    Yes, he wrote a T-Nation article about it. The idea is the wider the better, since you got more area to push against with your abs, but only if it doesn't hinder you from getting into the starting position.

So I'm guessing a skinny guy would be better off with a shorter 2.5 inch, and most guys with a belly would be better off with the 3 inch.

starting strength coach development program
    It's not skinny that matters at all, but instead room between ribs and pelvis. Torso length & configuration.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12