starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: *Help* No Squat Rack (I know, I know, please read entire post before responding)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    My guess is that the smith machine is on the ship instead of a rack because of the danger when the ship rocks. Try using the smith machine for at least a few heavy squats from time to time and fill in with alternatives in between.

What I would do is improvise a pair of hooks that could be attached to the smith machine to hold the bar. It is a solid frame why not use it as a rack?

Snatch grip deadlifts are good.
    Get some straps.
    Do them like an Olympic lifter, slightly forward of midfoot start, keep you butt down.
    You'd be surprised how much that tasks your quadz and upper back.

And the squatting smith machine isn't the end of the world either.

Can you not load the bar some other way? Maybe using boxes to set the bar the correct (or correct enough) height?
    You can see some Chinese and Russian lifters doing this in videos on the internet.

maybe on a cruise ship, which will be cruising in the water most of the time, isn't the time to do "free" barbell squats just for the sake of doing them.

i'd imagine when it is at port (and steady), its probably the time the OP wants to get off the boat if he's allowed to.

probably the only time I would give a pass to use a stupid smith machine without a second thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cavallari View Post
    Can you not load the bar some other way? Maybe using boxes to set the bar the correct (or correct enough) height?
    You can see some Chinese and Russian lifters doing this in videos on the internet.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but that's definitely not an option. Believe it or not, no access to correct boxes... plus ship isn't stationary... even in port it usually lists a little due to being tied up to the dock... so at no time would this be anything but suicide.

Looks like I'm should be cycling through Landmine Squats, Olympic Snatch Grip Deadlifts, Front Squats, Smith Machine, and Leg Presses and hope for the best (not the "minimalist" plan that I should be doing, but I guess I'll make do.

Does anyone have any thoughts on prioritizing the above movements, keeping in mind I'm 6'1" and have mobility issues keeping me from squatting full depth at the moment.

Thanks again all, I appreciate all the feedback and comments.

Its kinda interesting to think about.

Cruise ships (big ones) are very tall, most of the decks are way higher than the water line, and not much of the hull is below.

An aircraft carrier most everything is below the flight deck, closer to the water line.
    I would imagine an aircraft carrier is designed in such a way to minimize movement/listing as much as possible. Maybe not.

Depends where they put the gym room, and how far port or starboard from center.
    I guess ideal would be center of ship right at the water line, or maybe below it a tad? or maybe at the very bottom deck? IDK.

Forget the side to side effects, imagine being in the bottom of a heavy squat when the floor sorta reverses direction, or vise versa.
    "Gravity was strong that day".

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    Its kinda interesting to think about.

Cruise ships (big ones) are very tall, most of the decks are way higher than the water line, and not much of the hull is below.

An aircraft carrier most everything is below the flight deck, closer to the water line.
    I would imagine an aircraft carrier is designed in such a way to minimize movement/listing as much as possible. Maybe not.

Depends where they put the gym room, and how far port or starboard from center.
    I guess ideal would be center of ship right at the water line, or maybe below it a tad? or maybe at the very bottom deck? IDK.

Forget the side to side effects, imagine being in the bottom of a heavy squat when the floor sorta reverses direction, or vise versa.
    "Gravity was strong that day".
    You got it... except cruise ships don't think about that when they decide where to put the gym. Ours is on Deck 16 (highest deck of the ship) all the way forward. Makes for great views for the treadmill and bike crowd, but sucks for the weightlifters.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12