starting strength gym

Thread: Setting up a squat stand in the apartment

Default Setting up a squat stand in the apartment

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey everyone.

Currently training at a 24/7 fitness gym which I dread. It's always crowded and I just get reaaaaally bummed out when I have to do challenging squats in front of people. Might sound silly but that's a huge factor which negatively impacts me for some reason. I get small panic attacks when I'm at crowded places, and especially if I have to do something challenging like squats.

And I'm currently living in an apartment and will do so in the next years. I really want a home gym and I have space over in my bedroom where I could fit a squat stand with spotters arms for a very basic setup.

I realize that deadlifting and rowing is out of the question because I respect my neighbors, but doing squats/bench/pull ups etc shouldn't disturb my neighbors, right?

I would have to go to the gym to do my deadlifts, but the gym is paid for by my work so it's free and it's only a 3 min bike ride away anyway!

How silly does this sound? I have my own setup where I can do the bulk of my training at home, but I still have a gym close by for deadlifts, leg press, dumbells, stationary bikes etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JTT View Post
    How silly does this sound?
    I life in a flat, like you, and train at home. To me, it's not silly at all.
    I would still install a platform; moving / dropping bumpers on a normal floor can easily mark or damage it.

IPB

John Call, aka Jujimufu on YouTube, had a full rack in his dining room. Go look at his earlier videos and you can see what he did. Before I had my garage gym going I deadlifted in the House. I built a mini lift platform to save the floor and put a layer of softer floor gym mat under the stall mat. It didn’t wake up my wife in the next room unless I dropped the bar. If you lift when folks are awake, protect the floor, etc you should be able to DL in your apartment. You are only doing warmups and your five top set so it won’t be that much noise. Or go outside and lift in the yard.

Thanks for the input! I will build a platform and use some mats for sure.

I will do my lifting at noon, so most people are at work anyway. And I only deadlift once a week, 15-25 total work set reps and I'm done in 20-30 minutes. And I always try to lower the weights controlled, usually works unless I do a heavy single or my grip fails. Sounds reasonable to me.

And what about iron vs bumper plates? Is it possible to combine to reduce noise? Was thinking about getting 1 pair of 25kg bumpers and rest iron plates.

And what about iron vs bumper plates? Is it possible to combine to reduce noise?
    IMHE, the biggest problem when lowering the bar (lowering, not dropping it from overhead) is not the noise but the vibrations. Unless you go kabuki-actor slow, a 100Kg (or plus) bar hitting the platform is always going to shake the floor at least a bit, and this will be felt around.
    Some rubber base helps, but to really smother the vibrations it would have to be very thick and soft, which would make it difficult to stand on the platform.

IPB

Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    IMHE, the biggest problem when lowering the bar (lowering, not dropping it from overhead) is not the noise but the vibrations. Unless you go kabuki-actor slow, a 100Kg (or plus) bar hitting the platform is always going to shake the floor at least a bit, and this will be felt around.
    Some rubber base helps, but to really smother the vibrations it would have to be very thick and soft, which would make it difficult to stand on the platform.

IPB
    Do your neighbors complain?

Just ordered everything.

I have a feeling the DL'ing will make too much noise but we'll see. I still have a free membership at the gym which is only a 3 min bike ride away so I can do my deadlifts there and go home and finish my workout lol. That's how much I hate the commercial gym!

JTT- when you get everything set up remember to post pictures. Regarding the noise while deadlifting- it will depend on the factors everyone else already mentioned (how easy you lower the weights to the floor, your platform construction and use of bumpers). It will also depend on what floor/level you're on and what type of construction the floor is (wood, concrete slab, etc...). My gym at work is above two levels of a parking garage. Even though it is a sturdy concrete structure and there is a proper platform AND bumpers are used if someone drops a deadlift or lowers it quickly the immediate area shakes and it is LOUD. A properly lowered deadlift isn't noticeable. It's definitely good you have the option of doing deads at the commercial gym. Enjoy the new equipment! It's like Christmas when it shows up!

starting strength coach development program
    Do your neighbors complain?
    So far, so good (fingers crossed).
    My platform in on the terrace, underneath which there is another terrace, so that helps.
    On the other hand, yesterday I dropped a couple of OHS with barely 58Kg, you could feel the vibrations all over the place (see also Danomite!'s post above).
    I do my 'loud' lifts (deads and all the OLs) in the afternoon, when they are less of a nuisance.

Last but not least; concrete floor and structure throughout.

IPB