starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Platform for Rogue R-3

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have a question about the AoM approach. Brett takes his stall mats and measures where to make the cut for the sections that go either side of the center plywood. He then just cuts, seemingly free form.

Why would you not use the plywood to give you a straight edge to aid in cutting it? Put the mats down on either side before you place the center plywood piece on top of them. Position the playwood as you need, weigh it down if needed to help keep it in place, then just the mats along the line created by the side of the plywood. As a mediocre DIY guy who creates trouble for himself by not following directions, am I missing something here?

I've bought the material and will be building my platform this coming weekend.

Is there any value in framing the platform so the edges of the particle board don't fray? What about finishing the center plywood piece?

Particle board is like gremlins: never get it wet. That is the main thing, Limes.

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    Particle board is like gremlins: never get it wet. That is the main thing, Limes.
    Thanks, Stef.

Our garage has no AC and so is only cooled by a couple of smallish box fans. I looked for the Marine grade ply mentioned in the OP, but no one at Lowes or Home Depot had any idea what I was talking about. So Im just concerned about what I can do whether proof it as much as I can.

I just installed a rogue R3 rack over a 8' x 8' platform build of 2 layers (glued and screwed) 3/4" plywood and a top layer of 3/4" TSC stall mat. I bolted the rack on top of the stall mat with 3" carriage bolts up through the bottom and tightened it down tight. It barely compresses and is very stable.

If you like to lift on just wood you can do without the stall mat on 2 layers of ply but 300 lbs of stall mat DOES make the whole rig more stable. Outside of some bounce when dropping weight on the floor the setup is very solid.

I personally see no reason to have a wood center for my purposes, but that's also an option.

build list:
    4 x 3/4" x 4' x 8' ply (the cheaper stuff, non-sanded)
    box of 1.25" screws
    big tube of construction adhesive
    12 x 3" carriage bolts, washers, nuts
    3 x 3/4" Tractor Supply stall mat's

Build steps:
    -lay first layer of ply on floor.
    -apply Glue to one half
    -lay second layer perpendicular to first one
    -screw one piece down first, then apply glue and screw the other piece
    -lay out stall mat and trim to fit. I put my stall mat so it makes a "+" with the seam right below where I stand in the rack. This gives me an awesome centering point and visual reference for my feet when squatting. It also bolts all the pieces down with the rack so no movement.
    -place rack on mat. Square it, make sure it is the same width at the bottom as the top, then mark holes. Remove rack.
    -Raise the rack up in the air about 3" on scraps of wood. I used a moving dolly to jack up the ends and wood scraps to support it.
    -Drill holes (I used a 3/4" hole saw for the stall mat and a 1/2" wood bit for the plywood. lift up the mat, vacuum all wood debris out, from under the mat too
    -install carriage bolts up from bottom
    -place platform back on the floor, use furniture dollies to move around if not where you need it.
    -install rack, bolt down on top of stall mat.

that's just my way, I'm sure there are others. I have radiant flooring so I couldn't risk bolting to concrete. If I didn't have radiant floor I would still probably do the same thing because I can move this platform around if needed and it works well without messing up the floor.
    Attached Images Attached Images

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by LimieJosh View Post
    Thanks, Stef.

Our garage has no AC and so is only cooled by a couple of smallish box fans. I looked for the Marine grade ply mentioned in the OP, but no one at Lowes or Home Depot had any idea what I was talking about. So Im just concerned about what I can do whether proof it as much as I can.
    Baltic birch. 3/4" thick. Heavy as hell.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12