starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Low Ceiling Standing Press Solution?

I have developed a solution to my low basement ceiling.

I bought to carabiners at the Dollar Store. (Note - I will upgrade these to Industrial Strength ones eventually - but they are fine at the moment.

I went to Home Depot and bought 2 2.5 ft length chains - making sure the carabiners fit through the chain.

I simply put the chain/carabiner on the floor, add the weight and put them on the end of the bar. The carabiner stays secure on the bar, but I will ad the weight stays as the weight gets heavier. I guess a person could get longer chains if they want to unsettle the bar, but I would worry about the weights hitting me with too long of chains.

Now I'm able to fully extend on the standing press without worrying about smacking the ceiling - adding both the standing press and olympic movement to the program as suggested in Barbell PrescriptionWeight-Solution.jpg

starting strength coach development program
    Nice, add two 7" pieces of 1.5" PVC and you can do farmer walks with those chains.
    I'd be careful because of the added instability (aka swinging) at the top position of the press.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12