starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storage Unit as a Gym

Default Storage Unit as a Gym

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Any of you folks ever think of renting a storage unit and setting up equipment in there?

I've been mulling this over for the last several months and I think I would just want to make sure the place stayed open late enough, and I could
    get 5-6 people to split the cost of the rent. Seems that it would be cost effective, and I wouldn't have to deal with people.

-T

No comment on the logistics of a storage unit, or attempting to make a business out of your gym.
    But as someone who patiently trolled craigslist for 6 months to put together a decent garage gym setup, I will warn you that if you think this will save you money or be "cost effective" in anything but the very long term, you are kidding yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by A Schenck View Post
    No comment on the logistics of a storage unit, or attempting to make a business out of your gym.
    But as someone who patiently trolled craigslist for 6 months to put together a decent garage gym setup, I will warn you that if you think this will save you money or be "cost effective" in anything but the very long term, you are kidding yourself.
    NOT trying to start a business. Just trying to have a quiet place to train and have the rental cost split between close friends. And yes, any investment in gym equipment will always be cost effective in the long term.
    I just don't have a garage or space, and am trying to come up with creative alternatives.

Not advisable. Storage companies strongly frown against using units for anything other than storage. Violations of your lease agreement can result in you losing your rental fee and the things you’ve placed in your unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Not advisable. Storage companies strongly frown against using units for anything other than storage. Violations of your lease agreement can result in you losing your rental fee and the things you’ve placed in your unit.
    holy crap this is so much not the case where I'm at ^.
    1st world country / a top 10 populous city.

Pretty much, many contractors/construction companies use self-storage facilities to run their business out of.
    It's amazing, I've seen guys with a wet saw jig cutting out huge granite counter top for kitchens and the like out of storage units.

Maybe the big national storage chains frown upon it.
    But mom and pop storage center wouldn't care.

I think its actually a good idea.
    Especially if you have a unit with other stuff you are storing already.
    That is, as a stand alone solution I don't think its going to make sense for a money standpoint.
    But, if you need a unit for other junk you have it makes sense.

The "4-5 other people" thing you mention is probably not going to work out though ... never does.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    The "4-5 other people" thing you mention is probably not going to work out though ... never does.
    Well not with that kind of attitude! Yes, definitely my biggest hangup, but it is just a hair-brained thought. I may even try to find a buddy who would let me use his garage in exchange for use of equipment...idk.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    holy crap this is so much not the case where I'm at ^.
    1st world country / a top 10 populous city.
    Where are you? I know of absolutely no storage facility companies that allow anything but Storage on the their property (liability, etc.), or any city governments that allow uninspected and untaxed businesses in their jurisdictions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Where are you? I know of absolutely no storage facility companies that allow anything but Storage on the their property (liability, etc.), or any city governments that allow uninspected and untaxed businesses in their jurisdictions.
    Right?? It sounds awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by A Schenck View Post
    I have a different experience from this. I was able to get started in my garage inexpensively via Craigslist and other buy-used options.

But, yeah, I don’t think working out in a storage facility would work for the other reasons listed.

A better option would be to in with a friend who has a garage, help acquire the equipment, and then you’ll also have a workout partner.

starting strength coach development program
    Maybe you could find a garage space to rent? Others mentioned issues using the storage unit for something other than storage. Some other issues I can think of are:

- Restrooms, in case you shart a little after a heavy squat or DL
    - Heat/Air. You can go without air conditioning, but heat would be a must
    - Lighting. Some units have poor lighting and no electrical outlets.

I just opened up a home gym of sorts where I work. I'm loving it since I lift 6x per week on an upper/lower split. The workouts are shorter, so it's nice to do it right after work. The only downside is equipment, since I'm limited mainly to the large lifts right now. But I've made progress with the basics before, so I should be ok.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast