Storage Unit as a Gym Storage Unit as a Gym

starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Storage Unit as a Gym

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    34

    Default Storage Unit as a Gym

    • starting strength seminar october 2021
    • starting strength seminar december 2021
    • starting strength seminar february 2022
    Any of you folks ever think of renting a storage unit and setting up equipment in there?

    I've been mulling this over for the last several months and I think I would just want to make sure the place stayed open late enough, and I could
    get 5-6 people to split the cost of the rent. Seems that it would be cost effective, and I wouldn't have to deal with people.

    -T

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    232

    Default

    No comment on the logistics of a storage unit, or attempting to make a business out of your gym.
    But as someone who patiently trolled craigslist for 6 months to put together a decent garage gym setup, I will warn you that if you think this will save you money or be "cost effective" in anything but the very long term, you are kidding yourself.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A Schenck View Post
    No comment on the logistics of a storage unit, or attempting to make a business out of your gym.
    But as someone who patiently trolled craigslist for 6 months to put together a decent garage gym setup, I will warn you that if you think this will save you money or be "cost effective" in anything but the very long term, you are kidding yourself.
    NOT trying to start a business. Just trying to have a quiet place to train and have the rental cost split between close friends. And yes, any investment in gym equipment will always be cost effective in the long term.
    I just don't have a garage or space, and am trying to come up with creative alternatives.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Garage of GainzZz
    Posts
    2,609

    Default

    Not advisable. Storage companies strongly frown against using units for anything other than storage. Violations of your lease agreement can result in you losing your rental fee and the things youíve placed in your unit.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    731

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Not advisable. Storage companies strongly frown against using units for anything other than storage. Violations of your lease agreement can result in you losing your rental fee and the things youíve placed in your unit.
    holy crap this is so much not the case where I'm at ^.
    1st world country / a top 10 populous city.

    Pretty much, many contractors/construction companies use self-storage facilities to run their business out of.
    It's amazing, I've seen guys with a wet saw jig cutting out huge granite counter top for kitchens and the like out of storage units.

    Maybe the big national storage chains frown upon it.
    But mom and pop storage center wouldn't care.

    I think its actually a good idea.
    Especially if you have a unit with other stuff you are storing already.
    That is, as a stand alone solution I don't think its going to make sense for a money standpoint.
    But, if you need a unit for other junk you have it makes sense.

    The "4-5 other people" thing you mention is probably not going to work out though ... never does.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    The "4-5 other people" thing you mention is probably not going to work out though ... never does.
    Well not with that kind of attitude! Yes, definitely my biggest hangup, but it is just a hair-brained thought. I may even try to find a buddy who would let me use his garage in exchange for use of equipment...idk.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    46,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    holy crap this is so much not the case where I'm at ^.
    1st world country / a top 10 populous city.
    Where are you? I know of absolutely no storage facility companies that allow anything but Storage on the their property (liability, etc.), or any city governments that allow uninspected and untaxed businesses in their jurisdictions.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Where are you? I know of absolutely no storage facility companies that allow anything but Storage on the their property (liability, etc.), or any city governments that allow uninspected and untaxed businesses in their jurisdictions.
    Right?? It sounds awesome!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A Schenck View Post
    No comment on the logistics of a storage unit, or attempting to make a business out of your gym.
    But as someone who patiently trolled craigslist for 6 months to put together a decent garage gym setup, I will warn you that if you think this will save you money or be "cost effective" in anything but the very long term, you are kidding yourself.
    I have a different experience from this. I was able to get started in my garage inexpensively via Craigslist and other buy-used options.

    But, yeah, I donít think working out in a storage facility would work for the other reasons listed.

    A better option would be to in with a friend who has a garage, help acquire the equipment, and then youíll also have a workout partner.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    West Bend, WI
    Posts
    10,969

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Maybe you could find a garage space to rent? Others mentioned issues using the storage unit for something other than storage. Some other issues I can think of are:

    - Restrooms, in case you shart a little after a heavy squat or DL
    - Heat/Air. You can go without air conditioning, but heat would be a must
    - Lighting. Some units have poor lighting and no electrical outlets.

    I just opened up a home gym of sorts where I work. I'm loving it since I lift 6x per week on an upper/lower split. The workouts are shorter, so it's nice to do it right after work. The only downside is equipment, since I'm limited mainly to the large lifts right now. But I've made progress with the basics before, so I should be ok.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •