starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sled that won't trash my lawn?

Default Sled that won't trash my lawn?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am looking to add a sled to my home gym. I don't have much level pavement as my driveway is curved and sloped. Our street is also curved and a hill, and given how many drivers are speeding and texting, I feel like I would be taking my life in my hands pushing it on our street.

I do have a flat back yard, but I have worked hard to grow some nice turf there, which is a constant battle against droughts/downpours/dogs.

Ideally, I'd like to push a weighted sled on the back lawn and not plow up my grass. I know there are sandbag-style things to drag, but for pushing it has to be a metal sled. I like the 3-footed tricycle-type design, but wonder if the 2-ski design would be better to my grass. Examples below, in case I am not describing this well.

Does anyone have experience with pushing a sled on a grass lawn they care about? What works or doesn't work? Should I resign myself to designating a strip of grass to destroy?

thanks
    jfsully

Examples of the 3-footed vs 2-ski design:

xx847-lg_1.jpg rogue-echo-sled-header-newv2.jpg

Doesn't work. No way to make it work.

go find an old one of these at a old garage sale or something.
    (an old one that is heavy and harder to push)

still to easy? plant st.augustine grass

Damn.

Thanks. Might have to clear some junk out of the garage and do shorter sprints.

Also, in memory of the recently deceased Ken Leistner. He made reference to a DIY Coach's Buddy in the Iron Tip once upon a time. This was described as a stand up push dolly such as is used for stacking and moving boxes with an adjustable tensioning resistance wheel for the tires of the dolly. Perhaps loading it up and drawing down on the tension wheels might save your lawn.

I have also seen some old photos of wheelbarrows jerry rigged to do this as well in Stuart McRobert's now defunct magazine.

My error, Doc Ken titled it The Steel Tip.

You could buy a long strip of cheap/scrap carpet and roll it out. A place I used to train had to do that when the landlord got pissed about people pushing sleds in the parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by ceast View Post
    You could buy a long strip of cheap/scrap carpet and roll it out. A place I used to train had to do that when the landlord got pissed about people pushing sleds in the parking lot.
    Great idea, thanks! I might even have enough leftovers from when we finished our basement. I always wondered why we kept that stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    Great idea, thanks! I might even have enough leftovers from when we finished our basement. I always wondered why we kept that stuff!
    My older brother was able to get a good amount of the used artificial turf from an area HS football field when they replaced it (every 5 years). He put it in a shop building for his kid's softball & baseball practices (my niece plays at MSU now). It beats trying to practice in the rain/sleet/snow. If there's a football field near you that has artificial turf they may be about to throw some away. Though I'm sure the carpet will work just fine and be easier to roll up.

As far as the carpet thing goes, the SIU Rec Center recently got a prowler and it's on a sturdy indoor carpet along the the indoor track. It skids along just fine on carpet, but then again, that particular carpet is laid on a concrete slab. The natural bumps and lumps under a carpet laid on a lawn may be a different matter.

starting strength coach development program
    Torque Fitness Tank is a sled on wheels with magnetic resistance. Shouldn't tear up lawn

Torque Fitness TANK Sled Review | Garage Gym Reviews

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast