starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home gym barbell

Default Home gym barbell

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey everyone. I used my home gym this morning and found that the cheap barbell that I have just won't cut it. I tried to use some fractional plates but found the sleeves to be to big to fit the plates. I started looking for a new barbell that will last me and I can use with all my plates not just the Olympic main plates. I came across a few barbells that seem to be in the same specs as the Rogue Ohio bar or close to it. One of the barbells is a Rep Excalibur V2 bar and the Echo bar from Rogue. From what I can tell the Echo is spot on for the Ohio bar with a decent price. My question is anyone have any experience with these bars or recommendations on what is a good bar that is good for a budget?

Why not support SS and buy the SS barbell? I don't think any good barbell will be less than $300.00. That will be my next barbell.
    The Starting Strength Bar | Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Spicka View Post
    I don't think any good barbell will be less than $300.00.
    IMO, Rogue Bare Steel Ohio Power Bar and the Capps Bare Steel Texas Power Bar are good barbells for under $300. YMMV.

good info here: Beginner Bar recommendation?

also: [mod note: This is link is coming up as "unavailable" in YouTube, try again?]
    Last edited by stef; 04-29-2019 at 02:34 PM. Reason: YT link unavailable, removed.

+1

I picked up the 10kg SS barbell for the kids. Best knurl I've ever felt. The 20kg SS bar will be a future purchase. I currently use the Texas Power Bar. That knurl can be a bit 'harsh'.

Quote Originally Posted by wicat3 View Post
    Hey everyone. I used my home gym this morning and found that the cheap barbell that I have just won't cut it. I tried to use some fractional plates but found the sleeves to be to big to fit the plates. I started looking for a new barbell that will last me and I can use with all my plates not just the Olympic main plates. I came across a few barbells that seem to be in the same specs as the Rogue Ohio bar or close to it. One of the barbells is a Rep Excalibur V2 bar and the Echo bar from Rogue. From what I can tell the Echo is spot on for the Ohio bar with a decent price. My question is anyone have any experience with these bars or recommendations on what is a good bar that is good for a budget?
    These bars look decent, but have no center knurl. If you want a good bar with center knurl, then:

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Spicka View Post
    Why not support SS and buy the SS barbell? I don't think any good barbell will be less than $300.00. That will be my next barbell.
    The Starting Strength Bar | Equipment
    I just got the Starting Strength bar and it is a fine piece of equipment, an excellent value. It was definitely a step up over my cheap barbell that came bundled with my cheap weights. I didn't think the bar quality would make as much difference as it does: I wish I had bought it sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by pd_oldguy View Post
    good info here: Beginner Bar recommendation?

also: [mod note: This is link is coming up as "unavailable" in YouTube, try again?]
    YouTube go to 23:00 minute mark for discussion on Bars

Quote Originally Posted by pd_oldguy View Post
    YouTube go to 23:00 minute mark for discussion on Bars
    Just watched part of that and found out I should not Power Clean. I'll just pretend I did not hear that.

Why would you think you're "not supposed to," Spicka?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    Why would you think you're "not supposed to," Spicka?
    It was in the podcast? Don't worry, it has become one of my favorites.

Oh good lord... Why doesn't ANYONE use my first name. I an considering scrapping it.
    Last edited by Matthew Spicka; 04-30-2019 at 05:51 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast