starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lifting Shoes experience/opinions

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Well shoot, I bought these cause my Adidas started coming apart only a few months in. I guess I'll see what happens.

Ditto to Gottstein on the age thing (I'm 68) and relative weight being lifted. Huge difference when I got my Adidas Powerlifts on sale at Dick's Sporting goods for a mere $95. Helped a great deal in my stability and I've squatted 315 for a single and got 3 white lights with a rock solid feel to the platform.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Again, big price tag but when I factor in cost per use (these things last years even the Asics that I currently have) it's more than justified.
    As to your point about lasting for years, I got mine in 2011 and they are going strong. But then I only put them on just before I squat. Saves on the wear and tear.

Finally, if you get serious about deadlifts, you might consider some no heel wrestling shoes or cheap K-mart water shoes. The former give you more support and stability for your foot without driving you toward a tendency to get too far over your midfoot. A problem that cost me a 406 3rd attempt when I got the forward wobbles and over corrected and fell over backwards. It would have been a competition PR for me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Gottstein View Post
    I ended up getting the Reebok Lifter PR on Amazon for about $150. I'm liking them so far, though don't like the plasticy material of the straps. Coming from leather straps, I can feel the day they tear off instead of tighten. That's the only complaint, so nothing really.

Thanks everyone for your opinions and experience. Hopefully someone else will find it helpful as well.
    Oops, just realized they were Legacy Lifters, not Lifter PR (which are like $75).

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Gottstein View Post
    Oops, just realized they were Legacy Lifters, not Lifter PR (which are like $75).
    I bought Reebok Legacy Lifters last November. They were on sale (half price) at a Reebok store in a nearby outlet mall. Was also nice to be able to try them on in a store. I would have probably ordered an 11 ½ if I’d ordered online and kept them. But while I was trying them, the store clerk (a female lifter) suggested I try the 11. Tight but better. Not for walking around in, but really secure --like sticking your feet in a bucket of cement. I share your concern about the straps, but so far so good.

If you like squatting and pulling with a flat sole the Sabo Goodlifts are nice boots at a good price.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    The slope on these newer commercially available shoes is awful and I found that I am either on my heels or on my toes in them, with the Nike Romaleos (2 and 3) being the worst of them.
    From the Average Broz Gym review of the Asics727 Tiger, which they are/were the distributor for:

The pitch, or angle of the shoe is ~7% which is nearly identical in both the Adidas and Nike.... the pitch and heel height are equivalent to the the Adipower and Romaleos ....
    ...and then they go on about how the "feel" is different.

Who measured the pitch, fulcrum?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Who measured the pitch, fulcrum?
    I would assume the the guy's at Broz, since they are the distributor.
    At one time, many moons ago, they were one of few place you could get the Asics727 from.
    I'm not sure its still that way now.

I know many people get effective heel height, and heel height confused.... and might not know how to measure.
    But I would think the Asics distributor guy who begged the people in Japan to remake this shoe would know
    how to measure. Here is the full review: Asics 727 Tiger | Average Broz's Gymnasium

I'll admit, its a rather flowery review, but it is very detailed comparing the 727s to the Rom2s and AdiPowers,
    because those were the two most popular and favored (mass produced) OWL shoes at the time.

The Ferrari vs ford comments were a bit much.
    And my bullshit detectors are going off with regards to the wood heel vs TMP force transfer data numbers.

But I don't think they made a mistake about the heel height.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    But I don't think they made a mistake about the heel height.
    Don't know about them. Rogue fucked up their measurements though, measuring at the inner edge of the heel end of the shoe instead of under where the heel actually is in the shoe. This yielded a higher "effective heel height" than actually experienced by someone wearing the model. That was a while back, and they may have corrected the error. Point is -- verify what measurements actually correspond to carefully. It matters.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast