starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Lifting Shoes experience/opinions

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have the 0.5” heel version of these. They’ll last much longer if you have a competent cobbler install eyelets.

Also, after some years (lost track), the outside front part of the upper split where it creases just before the toes. Cobbler fixed and reinforced that.

Finally, plain laces might catch on the eyelets. So replace the laces with thick Kevlar-infused ones, like these below (though you might consider a shorter length), which also add some rigidity.

GREATLACES 54 Inch Black w/Black Kevlar proTOUGH(TM) Reinforced Heavy Duty Boot Laces Shoelaces (2 Pair Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JESK2JM..._nnLsDbESRVGTE

My wife just started SS with me a couple weeks ago and we ordered shoes. Should be here tomorrow. She ordered Powerlift 4s and I got Power Perfect 3s. I'll post our thoughts.

For what it's worth, there are some good deals to be had on men's Adidas lifting shoes right now at the usual online retailers. Not on women's, unfortunately.

Adidas chart comparing men's to women's sizes: adidas

I used this chart to buy men's Powerlift 4s (currently $80) because I couldn't find women's. They fit perfectly.

After a few workouts with our new shoes, some thoughts.

Fit:
    Power Perfect 3: I ordered these in my usual size (10.5) and they fit pretty well. At first it seemed like they were too short but I realized that there isn't much vertical space in the toe box. However the material stretched a little and they're fine. But if you need more room for your toes normally, I'd say think about a half size larger than your usual. Width: my feet are probably a D and they fit okay, but I doubt anyone with a wider foot would be able to wear them.

Powerlift 4 (my wife's shoes): She bought these in a 9 and typically wears an 8 or 8.5 womens, and they fit well. They are narrower than the Power Perfect for sure.

Heel rise: I haven't actually measured them but the Power Perfect is pretty close to 3/4" and the Powerlift is less than that. Maybe 5/8". My wife adjusted quickly to the heel-- only notices it if her bar path is out of center. I like the heel on mine fine too, although it took some getting used to as it's slightly higher than what I was wearing before.

Overall thoughts: my wife says, "I like these shoes. Makes it easier to hit depth and are really stable." I'd say the same, with the caveat that they are pretty unforgiving in two ways: lateral movement and bar path. You have to have your feet where you want them at the start of the rep (duh) because there's no compensating for that later with any lateral roll. And if your bar path gets out of line, it's easy to get out on your toes. I've had this happen on both the squat and the press. A good reminder to think about the master cue.

I also deadlift in these and it doesn't seem to bother me. I know a lot of folks like to DL in flats and I've done both. But I like the locked down stability these provide.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    After a few workouts with our new shoes, some thoughts.

Fit:
    Power Perfect 3: I ordered these in my usual size (10.5) and they fit pretty well. At first it seemed like they were too short but I realized that there isn't much vertical space in the toe box. However the material stretched a little and they're fine. But if you need more room for your toes normally, I'd say think about a half size larger than your usual. Width: my feet are probably a D and they fit okay, but I doubt anyone with a wider foot would be able to wear them.

Powerlift 4 (my wife's shoes): She bought these in a 9 and typically wears an 8 or 8.5 womens, and they fit well. They are narrower than the Power Perfect for sure.

Heel rise: I haven't actually measured them but the Power Perfect is pretty close to 3/4" and the Powerlift is less than that. Maybe 5/8". My wife adjusted quickly to the heel-- only notices it if her bar path is out of center. I like the heel on mine fine too, although it took some getting used to as it's slightly higher than what I was wearing before.

Overall thoughts: my wife says, "I like these shoes. Makes it easier to hit depth and are really stable." I'd say the same, with the caveat that they are pretty unforgiving in two ways: lateral movement and bar path. You have to have your feet where you want them at the start of the rep (duh) because there's no compensating for that later with any lateral roll. And if your bar path gets out of line, it's easy to get out on your toes. I've had this happen on both the squat and the press. A good reminder to think about the master cue.

I also deadlift in these and it doesn't seem to bother me. I know a lot of folks like to DL in flats and I've done both. But I like the locked down stability these provide.
    Thanks Matt, just looking at the Powelift 4s for the Mrs and this old thread was very helpful.

Sabo Powerlifts are awesome! Wish the heels were TPU, but oh well. Gave Reebok Legacy Lifters a try after trying on Romaleo 4s at a Nike outlet and being marveled by the Leo 4s superb build quality. Reebok Legacy Lifters heels are way too high, insides are too squishy and the rubber is way too slippery.

starting strength coach development program
    I bought a pair of Romaleos 4. Love them, will wear them forever.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234