starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lifting Shoes experience/opinions

Default Lifting Shoes experience/opinions

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I currently lift in a pair of Rogue Rips that are about 8-9 years old (with about 7 years of sitting in the closet). I am looking into new shoes, but it seems that anything under $150 is using EVA foam heel. I'm specifically thinking of the Adidas Powerlift 3.1/4, Adidas Power Perfect 3, and the Reebok Lifter PR. I won't lie that the price point on these (~$70 on Amazon for Powerlifts) is appealing, but I'm concerned about the EVA foam 1) feeling squishy from the start; and 2) compressing and becoming more compressible over time (which sounds like planned obsolescence labeled as cost reduction to me).

So, my question to whomever is reading this and wants to respond - do you lift in any of these shoes (or others w/ EVA foam heels), and if so, do you have any issues with them compressing? Do you have any regrets in buying them? Thanks in advance.

I lift in the Reebok Lifter PR. I have had people tell me get better shoes for the heel and all that but I have also had people tell me the shoes are fine for lifting in. Are there better shoes out there sure but for this price its a good lifting shoe. I feel stable in them and don't have any complaints with them. I am considering trying to get some Adidas but mostly because barbell logic recommends them and I want to try them. The lifter PR's have not let me down

Powerlifts and Power Perfects are both great shoes. You won't be disappointed in either. The Powerlift 3.1 are what I use as my go to

I got a pair of Adidas Powerlifts after starting NLP last year. They don't feel squishy to me at all and have held up well, huge improvement over squatting in running shoes. My squat and DL are only up to 330/380 at BW of 190, so it's possible I'm not pushing the limits of the sole yet. If you are a lot bigger and/or moving a lot more weight, it might be worth the extra investment to get a wood or other more solid heel.

Thanks for the feedback. It looks like I probably won't be disappointed with the powerlift or power perfects, and will probably give one of them a try. Now to decide between the .6 vs .75 drop.

I got a pair of Adidas Powerlifts 3.1 around July last year. I think it's a fine shoe in all aspects, EXCEPT that the material that holds the strap buckle isn't that durable. The one on my right foot is about 70% torn, and the left is at about %50.
    I know that when those finally blow out, the next pair of shoes that I buy will have leather for that part of the shoe.

The sole is solid and I like that the heel is a bit more shallow compared to others. I've experienced no issues or compression squatting 500s or Deadlifting 600s at BW 230.

Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    I got a pair of Adidas Powerlifts after starting NLP last year. They don't feel squishy to me at all and have held up well, huge improvement over squatting in running shoes. My squat and DL are only up to 330/380 at BW of 190, so it's possible I'm not pushing the limits of the sole yet. If you are a lot bigger and/or moving a lot more weight, it might be worth the extra investment to get a wood or other more solid heel.
    I also started out with lifting in sneakers until I upgraded to Powerlifts. Huge improvement in stability, used them for about four years until I was buying shoes for my son who was just starting out lifting. About 3-4 months ago I found Nike Romaleos 2's at the local Nike outlet store for about $50 and bought both of us a pair. I feel the difference between the Romaleos and the Powerlifts is as big as the difference between the Powerlifts and my sneakers. Much more solid connection to the floor. I'm 210 lbs, squatting low-mid 300's, deadlifting low 400's.

Sorry, make that Romaleos 3, not 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Gottstein View Post
    So, my question to whomever is reading this and wants to respond - do you lift in any of these shoes (or others w/ EVA foam heels), and if so, do you have any issues with them compressing? Do you have any regrets in buying them? Thanks in advance.
    The powerlift3s look like the 2s from reviews and what not from I've seen (same heel/sole material)
    I have powerlift2s, the sole is infact somewhat squishy (is not totally rigid).

I would not get the powerlift2/3s

starting strength coach development program
    SS book is big on weightlifting shoes. But I'm a 76yo guy who squats maybe 170 lb. (and trying to increase). Aren't the special shoes just for really heavy weights??

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast