New Bar and Plates. New Bar and Plates.

starting strength gym

Thread: New Bar and Plates.

Default New Bar and Plates.

I've been using shitty old Standard plates that range from +/- 3 lbs over the 10 45's, w/ inner and outer diameters all over the place.

Looking into these for 45's & 25's:

Elite Olympic Bumper Plates | Black | LB | Outfit your Home or Garage gym with these Bumper Plates!

The change plates I have are accurate enough. Not sure I'll really ever be too serious about any of the fast lifts, but these Competition Bumpers are quiet, easier on other equipment and are supposed to be +/- 20 grams w/ tight diameter tolerances.

Current bar is a Rogue B&R bar, which I like (love the knurling) but am considering giving away to family, so looking to replace it with this:

Starting Strength Bars | Made by Texas Power Bars | Powerlifting Barbell & Bars

A plus for me is the slightly smaller diameter also (easier to hook-grip).

Opinions on these two products?

I have the Titan Fitness elite bumper plates and love them. Canít beat the price and am very happy with the quality. Know a few people who use the SS bar and are happy with it. I use the Rogue Ohio Power Bar and think itís the best bar Iíve used. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by JDemboski View Post
    I have the Titan Fitness elite bumper plates and love them. Canít beat the price and am very happy with the quality. Know a few people who use the SS bar and are happy with it. I use the Rogue Ohio Power Bar and think itís the best bar Iíve used. Good luck.
    Thanks for the reply! I just ordered the plates and a new storage tree for them. I like to hook grip pretty much any type of pull and am considering some power/split cleans and snatches down the road, so I think I'll stick with the more general purpose & smaller diameter B&R. To my surprise I haven't ripped open any callouses w/ the older York / Rogue B&R + w/ chalk the bar really stays put. Here's to hoping the knurling on the newer model is as good.

I was about to pull the trigger on some Troy Premium cast-iron plates but then ran into the Titan Elite Bumpers. When all is said and done those didn't seem to make as much sense as about 10% per pound more for some quality bumpers.

My B&R 2.0 is 28.8mm while the Starting Strength Bar from Capps is 28.3mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Thanks Rip. I had the nomenclature of the bars mixed up a bit earlier.. I have the original B&R, not B&R 2.0 and meant the Capps bar in my last post.

Just placed an order for the Starting Strength bar and am looking forward to putting it to some good use.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I know for the Aasgaard stuff it is better for you if we order directly from this site rather than amazon. Is there anything similar for the SS bar? I assume not as you've link directly to the Texas Power Bar site when mentioning the bar, but wanted to double check before ordering.

We don't sell the bars here. You have to order from Capps Welding.