starting strength gym

Thread: Anyone know what bar this is?

Default Anyone know what bar this is?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Imgur: The magic of the Internet

29-29.5mm? Possibly 30mm

Bolt on sleeves, but I'm not convinced it's a CAP bar.

I have very little to go on. Seems like something you may see in a commercial style gym. I don't think it's from Rogue, but the seller sold me a lot of Rogue items and said they thought it may be from there.

Knurling is higher quality than any CAP bars I've handled, but just a little under Rogue quality knurling.

Any leads are appreciated. Willing to take more pics and measurements.

It looks like a generic barbell given the width of that bench press marking. The hex bolt is usually a sign of poor quality. If I had to guess, that bar is at least 30 mm or possibly greater.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    It looks like a generic barbell given the width of that bench press marking. The hex bolt is usually a sign of poor quality. If I had to guess, that bar is at least 30 mm or possibly greater.
    Thanks Rob. I'm thinking the same thing, but have no idea how to hone in on it. I know this is blasphemy to say about a barbell with a hex bolt - but it feels like a solidly made bar. The steel doesn't feel cheap like CAP. I'm guessing its something you'd see in a commercial gym. I do think its 30mm after giving it a test run. FWIW, I have a B&R bar and would still consider this a decent bar.

Are there any commercial gym brands I can check? I got this as part of a deal for a bunch of Rogue equipment. Judging by how much they paid for the rest of their equipment, I'm thinking this bar wasn't cheap.

The sad part is that commercial gym bars are priced high because these large chains will overpay for sub-par equipment from their "approved vendors." The cost of the bar is not driven by market demand rather by the commercial gym/university gym bureaucracy that requires purchasing from "approved vendors" even if those approved vendors do not offer high quality equipment. The approved vendors often happen to make excellent machines and cardio equipment, which is what these chains spend most of their money on. Since the overpriced barbells and plates cost far less than the machines it's perceived as a "good deal" by the salaried employee who orders them on the companies dime. Even if said employee made an argument for higher quality and less costly equipment, upper management would reject this notion due to the fact that it would not be coming from an "approved vendor." The aesthetic, warranty, quality of exercise machines, and mountains of fine print dictate quality in that business not the craftsmanship. In short, your cheap bar probably cost more than a brand new Eleiko bar.