starting strength gym

Thread: Starting home gym

Default Starting home gym

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've had a membership to 24hr fitness for just over a year. Sometimes when I get busy, I end up not going to the gym for several weeks. I figured I'd make my life easier by getting a rack for my garage.

Got this rack off Facebook for $300, and the guy threw in a (rather cheap) bar he had as well. 30mm bar, not fantastic, but enough for the moment. $45 mat from tractor supply, and I built the bench from a 2x10 for $15. Enough to get me going, and keep me consistent for now. I'm only 160lbs, and benching is still under 150, so I don't think I'm going to exceed the limits of the bench for a bit. (It has a 2x10 spine as well)

MVIMG_20191016_180542.jpg

Looking good. Best to make a platform out of 3/4" plywood under the rubber mat.
    You'll need an area in front of the rack to do dead lifts. The plywood under the rubber mat will protect the concrete, which you don't want to crack.
    Most recommend 3 layers, so for 8'x8' that is 6 sheets screwed together.
    The rubber is actually more important in front of the rack where you'll do deadlifts.

Garage gyms

Lots of advice in that thread also.

I had to violate my own advice because I'm tall and have a low ceiling. As it is I'm limited to 25 lb plates when I press.
    I went with two sheets.

My setup is like this. I used 3/4" rubber pavers on the sides (where the dead lift sets down) .
    I personally like my feet on the wood surface especially when squatting. So that strip in the middle is a good surface plywood, but underneath is the cheaper OSB.

Workout Area - Google Photos

Craigslist is your friend on plates. I like the old school deep dish Troy's and Hamptons.
    Rustoleum is also your friend.

Of course I got all this before there the SS stuff was available. That probably would have changed some of my choices, but I like the way my floor came out.

No edit function for posts? The following should be a better image:

powerrack.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesepuff View Post
    Looking good. Best to make a platform out of 3/4" plywood under the rubber mat.
    You'll need an area in front of the rack to do dead lifts. The plywood under the rubber mat will protect the concrete, which you don't want to crack.
    Most recommend 3 layers, so for 8'x8' that is 6 sheets screwed together.
    The rubber is actually more important in front of the rack where you'll do deadlifts.

Garage gyms

Lots of advice in that thread also.

I had to violate my own advice because I'm tall and have a low ceiling. As it is I'm limited to 25 lb plates when I press.
    I went with two sheets.

My setup is like this. I used 3/4" rubber pavers on the sides (where the dead lift sets down) .
    I personally like my feet on the wood surface especially when squatting. So that strip in the middle is a good surface plywood, but underneath is the cheaper OSB.

Workout Area - Google Photos

Craigslist is your friend on plates. I like the old school deep dish Troy's and Hamptons.
    Rustoleum is also your friend.

Of course I got all this before there the SS stuff was available. That probably would have changed some of my choices, but I like the way my floor came out.
    Appreciate the info. I've been looking on CL and FB, and haven't come across many plates yet. I purchased the smallest set Rep Fitness sells in iron plates for $150(175lbs I think). I'm about to max that out on my deadlift, but bench/press and squat still have a bit to go. I'm hoping to find a cheap 45 or 35lb set used, but no luck yet.