starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to get Plates??

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I tried looking but no luck, I may have missed them, thanks for the tip off.

630 lb weights - sporting goods - by owner - sale

Here’s the link
    The photo shows some york 45s

I got a similar set from Sears. The bar is a cheap CAP bar, but was adequate for me to get started. I later upgraded to the SS bar, which is a great value and a noticeable improvement, and the CAP bar is relegated to rack pulls and my sons' knucklehead friends.

The cheap weights are perfectly fine. They may not be super-accurate, but if you are training with the same set, you will progress just fine. If you train at other places and need to know accurate #s to plan each session, the cheapo plates may have a bit of variance that throws you off. Or if you are planning to compete, you might want to get a calibrated set or at least weigh and relabel your plates.

Bobman, I actually found the post, but they are selling 10 45's and no negotiations.

I have a weird job where I drive to a lot of states to do startups and trouble shooting.

I keep an envelope with cash in it and always look at the Craigslist of the cities I will be passing through. Doing this I’ve accumulated an incredible weight room with 7 power racks Lat machine and probably 3000 lbs of york original older good quality Olympic plates and bars.

Craigslist is a jungle of weird people although for the most part guys selling weights are pretty decent to deal with.

My biggest obstacle is getting them to believe I’m not a scammer because my area code is often far away.

If you want to build a weight room at a low cost keep some cash handy and look everyday at Craigslist so you can react right away.

And learn to use multiple key words because people often don’t describe their things well

You will end up with stuff you don’t need because a lot of people’s motivations are to get rid of all of it. So I often buy it all if that’s what it takes to get what I wanted.

I usually just give the extra stuff I don’t want to my kids ( my kids are in their 30s) or their friends because I don’t need the hassle of selling it.

But reselling it would be doable if money is tight

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    The standard Capps bar knurling can be aggressive compared to their SS bar.
    This is definitely true. One of the YMCAs I train at regularly has a Texas Power Bar floating around and I end up using it sometimes. It's a good barbell, but as you say the knurling is aggressive. I used it yesterday for deadlifts and squats. I now have solid visual evidence that my bar placement is good, vis-a-vis the line on my back just below the spines of the scapula.

I've found Offer Up to be the best place to find second hand stuff these days. Facebook marketplace a bit less. You often have to wait for the right stuff to become available, but if you have a home gym you're looking to outfit it makes sense to keep on eye on those apps to see what has hit the market.

Lots of Standard Olympic plates on DALLAS Craigslist right now

Thanks for the heads up! I was able to get some plates with an academy gift card, ordered some from York, and I'm just short another set of plates and I'll be good.

starting strength coach development program
    Is there any significance on brands or certain types of EZ-Curl bars to buy? I'll be needing one for tricep extensions at some point and will probably buy one later this year.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast