starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question about shoes....

Default A question about shoes....

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So, Ive been given a pair of chuck taylor shoes that happen to fit perfectly. So, I at least have them.

But I also realize there's a significant difference between those and lifting shoes. So my question is...

What's the difference between these shoes that cost $60...
    adidas

And these that cost $200...
    adidas

Why would I spend 200 vs 60? Better asked, what is specifically better about the 200 shoes that I should buy those vs either the $60 or (free) chucks?

Primarily the construction of the sole and the material used in the upper.

the $60 are perfectly fine for most folks. the strap on the more expensive ones will get a tighter fit, but unless you're an elite lifter i'd go for the $60

Definitely NOT an elite lifter! Just got the $60, and will have the CTs as a backup in case I don't take to the adidas shoes...

Thanks.

The one on sale is most likely a previous season model they are clearing out or discontinuing to make room for a new model.

But more importantly worth noting, they have different heel heights. I lift in an older, not as cool looking version of the Adipower and prefer the higher heel height, but that's just a personal preference.

I have lifted in either Vans or Chucks for years and have never had a problem. There is probably 20 things you could do to improve your lifting besides buying expensive shoes. Even many "elite" level lifters prefer to lift in chucks or vans. I wont go so far to say that lifting shoes are a complete gimmick but they should be pretty far down on a lifters wish list in my opinion.

I’ve had the Powerlift 4s for a couple of years now and they’re great. They should last me for many more years. I wear them three days a week for about an hour and a half.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappey1 View Post
    I have lifted in either Vans or Chucks for years and have never had a problem. There is probably 20 things you could do to improve your lifting besides buying expensive shoes. Even many "elite" level lifters prefer to lift in chucks or vans. I wont go so far to say that lifting shoes are a complete gimmick but they should be pretty far down on a lifters wish list in my opinion.
    I disagree rather strongly. You have never lifted in lifting shoes, so all you know is training in shitty shoes. Please continue, but please do not contradict your superiors.

I used to be the same way. OLY lifted years ago in Adidas Sambas or Chucks. Then the owner of CrossFit SOCal, Ahmik Jones let me try on some weight lifting shoes and it make a huge difference. Those Chucks will feel like mushy, unstable blobs under your feet after you wear a real pair of lifting shoes.

Interesting, since most articles I've read, podcasts I've listened to (including SS articles and podcasts), most recommend a dedicated shoe and the FIRST piece of equipment you should think about getting, and after a few weeks that should be followed up by a belt.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    So, Ive been given a pair of chuck taylor shoes that happen to fit perfectly. So, I at least have them.

But I also realize there's a significant difference between those and lifting shoes. So my question is...

What's the difference between these shoes that cost $60...
    adidas

And these that cost $200...
    adidas

Why would I spend 200 vs 60? Better asked, what is specifically better about the 200 shoes that I should buy those vs either the $60 or (free) chucks?

I'll take a stab at the 200$ vs 60$ question.

That $60 dollar shoe, the 'leather' upper to just sewn or glued to the simply flat bottom sole.
    Also, that Powerlift 4 appears to have to EVA? (foam) bottom, its actually just a tad squishy.
    EDIT: googled it, it IS actually called "foam" ... "EVA High Density Foam".
    'Foam' doesn't sound good to me for a heel structure on a Weightlifting shoe.
    You can actually push your finger (nail) quite aways into my Powerlift2s....it appears the 4's are the same.

That $200 shoe, the sole is worked into an rigid part of the lower, that comes up and encapsulates the bottom part of your foot a bit.
    Kind of like the Romeleos2 heel cup.....all that hard plastic comes up and around your foot. Its very stable.
    You can see it here:

It doesn't look like much, but then also the inner part of the sole is dished out for your heel, and similarly formed for your arch.
    These Weightlifting shoes have really hard dense plastic bottoms/heels. There is no compression there.

That is the main difference between those shoes.

I would not recommend Powerlifts based on my Powerlift2s (its appears they've only changed cosmetically).
    They are a good shoe to buy to take to a cobbler chop up into a zero heel drop deadlifting shoe though .... because they are $60 and are so simply constructed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast