starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A question about shoes....

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    the $60 are perfectly fine for most folks. the strap on the more expensive ones will get a tighter fit, but unless you're an elite lifter i'd go for the $60
    Does the more expensive one allow for a tighter fit without the hoop the strap goes through breaking? I have a pair of cheaper shoes from Reebok that those broke from wearing the strap real tight. I like to make that strap really right because my left foot is kinda screwed up from an old ankle injury. It tends to flatten out and throw off alignment all the way up the leg, and a tight arch strap helps force it arched.

Of possible relevance is also the fact that Converse was quietly bought by Nike. I lift in a pair of Chucks myself until I can find a good relatively affordable lifting shoe, and then it's off to the trash for them where they belong.

Also, does anyone think a 1" and above heel height is a bit extreme? I'm looking for around 1/2" myself. Maybe it's because I don't have a problem with flexibility so that's not a problem.

How about these dowins? Lots of reviews, a little bit more expensive (vs the $60). Looks like they're made of some plastic under the heel.

Do-Win Weightlifting Shoes - Black & White | Rogue Fitness

Thanks for the reply here. The $60 are unavailable in my size. And I am not wanting to drop $200, if possible. There are some Do-Wins available, but I think the sole may be plastic, which may deteriorate over time. Lots of reviews though so, that's a positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    I'll take a stab at the 200$ vs 60$ question.

That $60 dollar shoe, the 'leather' upper to just sewn or glued to the simply flat bottom sole.
    Also, that Powerlift 4 appears to have to EVA? (foam) bottom, its actually just a tad squishy.
    EDIT: googled it, it IS actually called "foam" ... "EVA High Density Foam".
    'Foam' doesn't sound good to me for a heel structure on a Weightlifting shoe.
    You can actually push your finger (nail) quite aways into my Powerlift2s....it appears the 4's are the same.

That $200 shoe, the sole is worked into an rigid part of the lower, that comes up and encapsulates the bottom part of your foot a bit.
    Kind of like the Romeleos2 heel cup.....all that hard plastic comes up and around your foot. Its very stable.
    You can see it here:

It doesn't look like much, but then also the inner part of the sole is dished out for your heel, and similarly formed for your arch.
    These Weightlifting shoes have really hard dense plastic bottoms/heels. There is no compression there.

That is the main difference between those shoes.

I would not recommend Powerlifts based on my Powerlift2s (its appears they've only changed cosmetically).
    They are a good shoe to buy to take to a cobbler chop up into a zero heel drop deadlifting shoe though .... because they are $60 and are so simply constructed.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    How about these dowins? Lots of reviews, a little bit more expensive (vs the $60). Looks like they're made of some plastic under the heel.

Do-Win Weightlifting Shoes - Black & White | Rogue Fitness
    Those are fine IMO.

I bought my wife a set of these due to the cheap cost, then my son used them when he could fit them (age 11?).

Sure, I wouldn't call the use 'heavy' there ... but they seemed like a good solid shoe from just handling them, inspection, etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12