starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Outdoor COVID19 home gym: Any advice?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    pool gazebo.jpg

Here's what the space looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by danomite! View Post
    Sweet, sounds like you will wind up with a nice set up. For reference I went with Rogue's calibrated steel plates for everything 25# & up and their change plates for 10# & under. I went with Vulcan Alpha bumpers for their low noise and snazzy color pattern. I got some PVC pipe to go over the pin & pipe safeties to help protect my bar. Pipe insulation may have been a better option.
    I kinda wish I'd gone with the Vulcan Alphas. I went with the Rogue Hi Temps--they seemed tough, relatively cheap, and I felt comfortable throwing money at Rogue given their exceptional reputation for customer service. if I get more bumpers, I'm going to get Alphas. How're you liking the calibrated Rogue plates?

Quote Originally Posted by Brahms View Post
    I kinda wish I'd gone with the Vulcan Alphas. I went with the Rogue Hi Temps--they seemed tough, relatively cheap, and I felt comfortable throwing money at Rogue given their exceptional reputation for customer service. if I get more bumpers, I'm going to get Alphas. How're you liking the calibrated Rogue plates?
    I really like the calibrated steel Rogue weights as well as the change plates. Both are accurate +/-10 grams. The Alphas are +/-1%. Initially I had gotten some cap brand weights for the low entry cost. The actual weight varied so much it triggered my OCD. I wound up selling them to a friend and buying the Rogues.

I may not be able to keep the bar inside the house on a regular basis due to space issues and a toddler. What's the next best thing? To buy a carry bag, and store it in the bag in a shed?

Quote Originally Posted by Brahms View Post
    I may not be able to keep the bar inside the house on a regular basis due to space issues and a toddler. What's the next best thing? To buy a carry bag, and store it in the bag in a shed?
    You can't roll it under a bed?

Quote Originally Posted by abnk View Post
    You can't roll it under a bed?
    I'm going to try that first.

What did you end up doing for an outdoor squat rack/stand? I wonder about the elements and the rack rusting, while I consider an outdoor gym (out of necessity).

starting strength coach development program
    Last spring the wife and I canceled our memberships with Golds as we weren't going as often (no longer living two blocks from the gym and having an infant) and we used a portion of our tax return to start building a home gym. We have purchased just about everything from Rogue:

RML-390F flat foot Monster lite rack
    Ohio power bar with black oxide (looks green now)
    trap bar
    adjustable bench
    469 pounds worth of bumpers and change plates
    a whole bunch of their 2'x2' rubber tiles
    landmine with straight and parallel handles
    the powerblock adjustable dumbells
    verticle plate tree

the Wife also bought some resistance bands and a plyometrics box and I bought her a stationary bike for her birthday.

We've been adding things here and there as they come in stock, got the Spud Inc cable pulley system, and a weighted dip belt on the way along with another pair of tiles.

All this is stored outside behind our house in Los Angeles on our covered back patio, no rain gets to it (what little we do get) but because we live somewhat close to a freeway there is a noticeable accumulation of dust, so for a while, I would hose everything off every so often but I have noticed some rust forming on the inside of the plate tree and the rack, nothing terrible but it's there so I've stopped using water and instead just use a broom and a leaf blower to clean everything off.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12