starting strength gym

Thread: DIY Soft box squat

Default DIY Soft box squat

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Anyone do a DIY soft squat box? Elites got one (link below) but it's currently out of stock. If I Google search "close cell foam" you get a lot of results. No idea about this stuff, but assume I can just buy, cut and glue and get the same thing (without the nice cover). I did box squats in college on soft ones and liked that little give versus a hard box.

elitefts™ Squat Box - 18x16x14

Why not just do the program?

I'm 30 with arthritis in both knees that started when I was in college. When I box squatted in college (probably once every 5-6 weeks) it was always a big relief on my knees, I want to get back to incorporating into my workouts.

Could you just get one of those square boat cushion/flotation device things and set it on top of a box? Don't know if the density is right but I seem to recall them being fairly firm.

I'm also interested in your response to Rip's question.

I also just don't get this. It's a box. How much 'give' do you need? You shouldn't be slamming into it. Your butt should be padding enough. If it's not, you probably need to squat more.
    Also, the phrase you're probably looking for is "high density polyurethane foam" or "high density polyethylene foam." Use an electric turkey cutter or bread knife to cut it. Do NOT use a utility knife or circular saw.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

If you want to do box squats, just do them on a box. Why the padding?

I ended up just getting the 12x14x16 inch box from Rep. Looks like all the manufacturers have some sort of this 3 way box which is really cool.

The soft cell foam question from me was because I'd be more confident in my ability to DIY that option versus a wood box. Don't trust in my ability to DIY a wood box to support 500+ pounds.

You're planning on setting the bar loaded with 500 pounds on the box??? Why?

Talking about bodyweight plus loaded barbell. I don't trust in my ability to make a box to hold any amount of weight.

starting strength coach development program
    Have you read the blue book, the box squat section? You don't actually sit down on the box.