starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sled or Prowler Recommendation

Default Sled or Prowler Recommendation

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Does anyone recommend a specific sled or prowler to be used primarily outside on an asphalt driveway? Looking for follow the technique recommended by Rip in video with Chase on the long poles so I don’t care about the lower handles. Seems like a lot of option out there between Rep Fitness, Rogue, Fringesport and Elitefts. I just want something durable without paying for more than needed. Appreciate folks thoughts.

I haven't invested in a prowler yet. So far for my purposes a used 16" tire, dip belt and nylon strap are working awesome. The tire rides consistently on the asphalt and doesn't damage it. It will pick up and drag small stones however so I keep the driveway blown off. I also have a chest harness that also works nice. This reminds me I need to be less lazy and do that more.

Quote Originally Posted by Nrushing View Post
    Does anyone recommend a specific sled or prowler to be used primarily outside on an asphalt driveway? Looking for follow the technique recommended by Rip in video with Chase on the long poles so I don’t care about the lower handles. Seems like a lot of option out there between Rep Fitness, Rogue, Fringesport and Elitefts. I just want something durable without paying for more than needed. Appreciate folks thoughts.
    I like the Titan pro sled, works great on my asphalt driveway. Have loaded maybe 200lbs on it (I think, put it away for the winter, can't remember exactly what I was doing with it), seems like it would do fine with plenty more. It does NOT like to be pushed on grass. If you are into pulling it with a harness, that seems to work OK on grass, though I prefer pushing it. Sounds like that's your plan too. But it's fun to watch the kids strap themselves in and drag it around the lawn.

Titan Pro Sled System

With about $65 in materials and just under two hours of labor you can build your own....
    Weight Sled.jpg

I own the Rogue Butcher. It gets the job done: two poles for plates. I bought the plastic pads for the skids to protect my driveway a bit. Though, if I were to go back I’d probably get the Rogue Dog Sled. One place for plates (the center) but you can move the handles to either side. That’d be way easier than turning the damn thing around.

Any coaches or SS gym owners want to tell us which prowler they find favor with? Please :-)

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

Our walkway is a little too narrow for a prowler at the SS Dallas gym. BUT of the ones I have used in the past I prefer the sleds where you can move the handles from one side to the other. It's not a show stopper but having to flip the thing around for your next lap is mildly annoying.

I'm not a coach or expert at all here, but will say if I had the money to purchase a sled, I'd look at one of the Torque Fitness Tanks. Expensive, but they appear excellent for outdoor use on asphalt or grass and uneven ground. And you don't need weights, they work by variable resistance in the same way assault bikes work; the harder you try to push the more resistance they create.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Cox View Post
    And you don't need weights, they work by variable resistance in the same way assault bikes work; the harder you try to push the more resistance they create.
    This seems like a disqualifying feature. First, this is the prowler version of pin setting, just load the damn plates. Second there is no way to record data on what was accomplished.

starting strength coach development program
    The reason I wanted to hear gym owners opinions, was they have not only their personal experiences with prowlers, but the experience that comes from coaching others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast