starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Blocks - recommendations?

Default Deadlift Blocks - recommendations?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm looking for good deadlift blocks to use in my training.

Due to my anthropometry (long legs and short arms), during step 4 of the deadlift, my hips end up higher than my shoulders which makes it very hard to get my back into rigid extension. As a result, I keep tweaking my back. I've tried pulling from an additional 2 inch height from the rack a couple of times, which not only didn't fuck up my back, it actually made my back feel better. So, from now on, I want to pull from a 2 inch height from blocks but don't want to use a rack as it will damage the barbell.

Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to make my own blocks. Also, my gym has no blocks.

I found these online as they're the only ones in my budget range -> https://www.dcblocksusa.com/dcblocks.html ; videos of them in use -> DC BLOCKS(R) (@dcblocks) profile on Instagram • 362 posts

Do these blocks seem sufficient?
    Does anyone have a recommendation on which blocks to use?

Buy a piece of 1/2 plywood

Cut it lengthwise in two even 2 ft wide pieces lengthwise then cut those long pieces into four 24 inch squares

You can cut these pieces in Home Depot on their panel saw

Then buy a tube of floor adhesive or “liquid nails” and glue those two sets of four pieces each together and stack a couple 45 s on each to “ clamp them while they dry

Probably about $35.00 total and you’ll have two each two inch thick blocks that are each two foot square

you can't cut and screw some plywood together ?

and post a video,
    thou must not fuck your back,

Quote Originally Posted by bobman View Post
    Buy a piece of 1/2 plywood

Cut it lengthwise in two even 2 ft wide pieces lengthwise then cut those long pieces into four 24 inch squares

You can cut these pieces in Home Depot on their panel saw

Then buy a tube of floor adhesive or “liquid nails” and glue those two sets of four pieces each together and stack a couple 45 s on each to “ clamp them while they dry

Probably about $35.00 total and you’ll have two each two inch thick blocks that are each two foot square
    Why not /screw/ ‘n glue?

I made some out of three 2 x 6", plywood, and horse stall mat. Very cheap.

If by not in a position, you mean you don't have a saw or place to do it, Lowe's (and I'm sure Home Depot) will cut a piece of plywood or whatever for you.

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    Why not /screw/ ‘n glue?
    If you glue two pieces of flat plywood together with liquid nails as I described above you will never ever ever be able to separate them.

and if you ONLY screw them together, you can tritrate back down to a bare floor or platform

Quote Originally Posted by bobman View Post
    If you glue two pieces of flat plywood together with liquid nails as I described above you will never ever ever be able to separate them.
    Agreed, if flat enough.

Just recalling conversations I had with trades-guys on John Bridge's Tile Forum years ago about building up subfloors for tile installs. "Screw and glue" was the mantra.

starting strength coach development program
    Have stall mat
    Cut piece
    Put piece on top of other piece
    Repeat as needed for height needed