starting strength gym

Thread: About de plattform

Default About de plattform

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi, fellas.

I am trying to get my "home gym" and I have reached the point of making the platform. The problem is that I don't have the possibility to get plywood here. Would it be very terrible to use only rubber? I can get very good quality 10mm rubber. In other words, it would be like crossfit boxes that simply put rubber on the ground and that's it. Opinions?

Thanks in advance!

At crossfit boxes, there's concrete under the rubber.
    And most crossfit gym are using bumper plates for the classes/WODs out on the "floor".

If you are using iron and hitting the same spot, might not last.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernLifter View Post
    Would it be very terrible to use only rubber? I can get very good quality 10mm rubber.
    It depends on the rubber. Stall mat is a dense composite of shredded tires. It is heavy and hard so that it stands up well to iron plates. A single 3/4" mat will protect a concrete floor from your deadlift bar if you don't slam it down. If you are a slammer then two mats should do the job with a total thickness of 1.5". If four layers of your 10mm rubber are as hard and dense as two layers of stall mat then it should work as well as couple of stall mats.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    At crossfit boxes, there's concrete under the rubber.
    And most crossfit gym are using bumper plates for the classes/WODs out on the "floor".

If you are using iron and hitting the same spot, might not last.
    I mean, the rubber floor would deform, right?

Horse mats don’t deform appreciably. Think about what they go through in horse trailers and stalls. Other “gym flooring” pads, not sure.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    It depends on the rubber. Stall mat is a dense composite of shredded tires. It is heavy and hard so that it stands up well to iron plates. A single 3/4" mat will protect a concrete floor from your deadlift bar if you don't slam it down. If you are a slammer then two mats should do the job with a total thickness of 1.5". If four layers of your 10mm rubber are as hard and dense as two layers of stall mat then it should work as well as couple of stall mats.
    Damn... I had not seen this message! Yes, I figured ... I have been offered rubber flooring for 10mm and 20mm (0.4 and 0.8 ") stables. The 10mm seemed strong to me. What is a slammer? I suppose they are the ones who throw the bar like weightlifters, no, not my case. Thanks for your comment!

Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    Horse mats don’t deform appreciably. Think about what they go through in horse trailers and stalls. Other “gym flooring” pads, not sure.
    That was my foundation, but I wanted to be sure. Thank you!