starting strength gym

Thread: Different kind of plate

Default Different kind of plate

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I thought this was interesting with the shortage of 45 plates. The come out at $1.22/lb. I wonder how much impact they can take on deadlifting.

Actually Affordable Olympic Barbell Weights - sporting goods - by...

I'm not convinced the guy who made those plates understand the role of reinforcement in concrete. Therefore, I'm also doubtful that he knows to use a concrete that is actually fit to resist the kind of beating a plate takes on a daily bases. If such concrete even exist.
    Anyway, if you buy those plates, you will have to replace them with iron or rubber sooner or later. So the price argument may not be so attractive. If you cannot find anything else however, training with concrete is better than not training at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Balrog View Post
    ...if you buy those plates, you will have to replace them with iron or rubber sooner or later. So the price argument may not be so attractive. If you cannot find anything else however, training with concrete is better than not training at all.
    I think that's the point. Forty fives are selling has high as $4/lb on Long Island, so you could buy these use them up and they by real ones later and still be under the $4/lb that is the going price.

There's a reason the old concrete weights were encased in thick plastic. These will work in a pinch but I would be surprised if they turn out to be a long term investment.

They are certainly nice looking but probably belong in a lifters garden with some strong looking gnomes rather than hitting the floor, my concern would be an unnoticed crack that decides to inform you of it's presence during a heavy squat set.

I made some 5kg plates in concrete to get me out of trouble and havent broken them yet but 22.5's? No way.

I'm reviving this thread, because I just bought a pile of concrete plates with the full understanding that they're a temporary option. "These trying times" and all that shit. They're poured locally, using molds from Caveman Weights. Not gonna lie, I kind of love that they say Caveman on them. They're only to use in my own home gym, and since I live in an apartment I won't be dropping any cleans, snatches, or heavy deadlifts. Even when I can hopefully do conventional deadlifts, it will be with some kind of dampeners. Probably the ones Andrew Lewis designed.

I'm just curious about any more thoughts or considerations you guys may have regarding care and durability. Balrog mentioned reinforcement, and these are apparently fiber reinforced. I know sweet fuck all about concrete, so does anyone have any thoughts on how much more durable that may make them? I've also seen people recommend coating them in bed liner to make them more durable. Think it's worthwhile?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillon Spencer View Post
    I'm reviving this thread, because I just bought a pile of concrete plates with the full understanding that they're a temporary option. "These trying times" and all that shit. They're poured locally, using molds from Caveman Weights. Not gonna lie, I kind of love that they say Caveman on them. They're only to use in my own home gym, and since I live in an apartment I won't be dropping any cleans, snatches, or heavy deadlifts. Even when I can hopefully do conventional deadlifts, it will be with some kind of dampeners. Probably the ones Andrew Lewis designed.

I'm just curious about any more thoughts or considerations you guys may have regarding care and durability. Balrog mentioned reinforcement, and these are apparently fiber reinforced. I know sweet fuck all about concrete, so does anyone have any thoughts on how much more durable that may make them? I've also seen people recommend coating them in bed liner to make them more durable. Think it's worthwhile?
    Once they are cast, it's done. You're not reinforcing anything unless you literally encase them in plastic. Even then, you're not protecting them, you're just giving the broken concrete somewhere to sit.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com