starting strength gym

Thread: Heavy Squat Rack

Default Heavy Squat Rack

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've decided that as much as I like going to the gym building my own garage gym would be a great time saver which is always beneficial when you work shifts. I've found a supplier and they make a heavy duty squat rack with safety bars and pull up bar. This would be a reasonable saving over a full rack, I'm just wondering if there is any reason this would be a bad choice?

Thanks Mark but I'm in the UK. The manufacturer also makes a full rack, I just wondered if there was any reason that a half rack wouldn't suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by Roobo View Post
    Thanks Mark but I'm in the UK. The manufacturer also makes a full rack, I just wondered if there was any reason that a half rack wouldn't suffice.
    I would just suggest making sure you anchor your rack somehow. Put 45lb plates on the feet or use anchor bolts in concrete. If you had a catastrophic failure (tear a quad on a heavy squat) and the bar drops you'd rather the rack not just flip over. Other than that, I've contemplated it before but got a full rack 36" deep. Only real advantages are using bands if i want which is rare and having the pullup bars up top.

Thanks man. I decided to just go for a power rack in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Roobo View Post
    Thanks man. I decided to just go for a power rack in the end.
    Sounds good man, you won't regret it. I got my home gym setup right before Rona lock downs started and I haven't looked back.

[QUOTE=Snake Plissken;.[/QUOTE]

Best username man, you win.

Quote Originally Posted by Balazs Egerszegi View Post
    Best username man, you win.
    I microload my squat with different weighted eye patches. Thanks man

starting strength coach development program
    I was thinking about this too. I have been building my home gym over the last few months. Right now, I have everything I need for the program. However, I had to compromise a bit on the rack, based on what has been in stock. It has been a challenge to find equipment during COVID, so I ended up buying a squat stand instead of a power rack. It's nice. Approx 250 lbs. The base has a stabilizer bar and it has spotter arms. So far it hasn't budged from my novice lifts. However, it doesn't have a chin up bar, I don't think that I can use a dip attachment, and I'm concerned that I will want to upgrade once I get to heavier weights.

Now that I'm considering building a dead lift platform, I am trying to decide if I should upgrade now with a rack like Rip linked. That way, I can bolt the whole thing together and have something that will last a lifetime.