starting strength gym

Thread: Substitute for Chalk?

Default Substitute for Chalk?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have just diluted the last few drops remaining in my last bottle of the liquid chalk with medical spirit, but it will last only for another few workouts.

COVID is fast spreading in my locality and the the government has declared many streets in my zip code as containment zones. So Amazon will not deliver my already placed order in the near future. Shops are closed. In short I am running out of chalk with no source of fresh supply.

What are the best alternatives? It is the monsoon rain season here, so I can't find dry soil or sand. Talcum powder? Corn flour? Anything else?

Talc and starch are good for drying, but make things slippery as hell, especially the talc. DO NOT USE THESE.

You'll live without chalk on presses and squats. Strap your pull work sets if you have to.

Why didn't I think of the straps! Thank you.

Lifting straps or sometimes buying a thinner diameter barbell will work. Also most Oly barbells have a very fine knurling. A real deadlift bar will have a much more aggressive knurling and as a consequence, you won't need much chalk. I have tons of chalk in my gym -- wish I could just send you a block. Hope you stay dry :-)

Quote Originally Posted by demonjax View Post
    Lifting straps or sometimes buying a thinner diameter barbell will work. Also most Oly barbells have a very fine knurling. A real deadlift bar will have a much more aggressive knurling and as a consequence, you won't need much chalk. I have tons of chalk in my gym -- wish I could just send you a block. Hope you stay dry :-)
    Why would a general strength trainee own a deadlift bar with an aggressive knurl?

Quote Originally Posted by demonjax View Post
    ak

Thank you for the offer, but I could not have accepted it even if I was living next your door. I use only the liquid chalk since I lift in my kid's bedroom and her mother has banned the chalk dust inside the house.

Quote Originally Posted by PuliMorgan View Post
    Thank you for the offer, but I could not have accepted it even if I was living next your door. I use only the liquid chalk since I lift in my kid's bedroom and her mother has banned the chalk dust inside the house.
    You can make your own if you have chalk and alcohol. Easy easy.

starting strength coach development program
    I have a couple of bottles of isopropyl alcohol. Thank you for the idea. Demonjax, I will take your offer.