starting strength gym

Thread: Belt necessity and belt position

Default Belt necessity and belt position

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I bought the 3" Starting Strength belt and just received it last week. Nice piece of equipment. I am fairly new to using a belt and have a couple questions.

1. I don't feel that I need it yet, as I am able to properly brace, remain tight, and am in no pain during or after training. Current squat is 245 x 5 x 3 at 5'7" and 180 lbs. Am I shortchanging myself if I keep training without the belt as long as I can? Are there many people with 350+ lb squats who don't use a belt? At heavier weights, all else equal, am I more prone to injure myself by not using a belt compared to using a belt?

2. I am able to use the belt comfortably for deadlifts by wearing it higher up, but when squatting, the sweet spot for me seems to be below my "gut" which means I wear the belt slightly below my belly button. I have a very short torso and wearing it higher up, say centered at my belly button, tends to dig into my lowest ribs a little bit. If I wear the belt low, I still feel like I get a good brace, but the pressure of the belt is obviously felt lower, which seems fine to me. Is there any reason why this is a bad idea? Hernias, a bad cue, or something else that I may not be considering?

How old are you, and have you had any back injuries?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    How old are you, and have you had any back injuries?
    Thanks for your reply and sorry for my late response. I am 36 and have had no major injuries to my back or otherwise. I had double inguinal hernia surgery as a 4 year old. I doubt that's relevant, but figured I'd mention it.