starting strength gym

Thread: Bumpers and iron on the bar?

Default Bumpers and iron on the bar?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have old York iron plates and an old York bar (all in excellent condition). I need two more 45's but as we all know in these trying times that isn't easy. I have found some 45# Rogue Hi Temp bumpers locally at a reasonable price. Two questions

1. Are the Hi Temp bumpers decent? I know they are wide but I'll never fill a bar.

2. Can I use the 45# bumpers with my old York iron/bar without damaging anything? I only need the plates for deadlifts.

I'm an old guy so the weights aren't huge and I only do SS lifts and I don't drop anything although the last deadlift rep can descend pretty fast.

Thanks

I did search for this but only found a related thread on dropping the weights with Olympic lifts.

1. Hi-Temps are good plates. Buy them.

2. I don't understand the question.

Poorly worded. Sorry.

I've been trying to find some more old York 45's but the market is unreasonable.
    I'm getting stronger and need more weight and don't want to waste money on smaller denominations.

I want to use iron plates and the high temp bumpers at the same time to achieve desired weight.

Does a mix of bumper and iron plates damage anything since I'm not dropping the bar although it does descend pretty quickly on my last deadlift rep?

I love bumpers. They make such a satisfying "WHUMP!" sound when you set the bar down.

Buy them before somebody else does.

My old gym used a pair of wide bumpers on each deadlift platform along with a rack full of York 45s. Old Yorks are undersized so they could be loaded and unloaded without having to use a jack or a dead wedge. The wide bumpers stand up nice and straight.

I use a pair of Rogue HG bumpers on my platform at home, although I don't have any York 45s.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost and Found View Post
    Does a mix of bumper and iron plates damage anything since I'm not dropping the bar although it does descend pretty quickly on my last deadlift rep?
    It does not.

Thanks
    I got the Hi Temp 45's. Weight seemed to be right on.

First workout last night with new Hi Temp bumper 45's added to my iron plates.

I felt really strong with those big fat bumpers on the bar along with my old York 45's :-)

I also never realized how annoying 35# plates can be while working up to work sets if you don't have enough 45's.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost and Found View Post
    I also never realized how annoying 35# plates can be while working up to work sets if you don't have enough 45's.
    35 pound plates are the biggest waste of money and space in the weight room. Of course, they are still better than Nautilus machines--mostly because of the ease to transport the 35 pound plates to wherever you drop off your scrap iron.