starting strength gym

Thread: The last lifting shoes you'll ever buy? (and other "buy it for life" equipment)

Default The last lifting shoes you'll ever buy? (and other "buy it for life" equipment)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I was excited last year when I heard about the Starting Strength partnership with White's Boots to make the best lifting shoe ever. Pricey, but they would last the rest of your life. That's what Rip said at least, and it matches my experience with White's (and SS). Well I don't know what happened there, but it seems like the partnership fell through. (Maybe it's still in the works? I'm out of the loop on this, admittedly.)

My old Do-Wins are kind of ratty looking. They'll last a while longer, but I'm in the market for a new pair of shoes. I like the idea of the "last shoes you'll ever buy". Repairable leather shoes instead of plastic and foam I'll eventually need to replace. Does such a shoe exist? Where do I find it and how much does it cost?

Is Best Belts still the best belt to buy if I never want to buy another one? Hoping to get my waistline in order before buying a belt for life, but it's next on my list after shoes.

Ultimately I plan to upgrade my entire Craigslist gym and cheap Rogue accessories to something I'll never have to replace again, starting with shoes. So if you have any suggestions for other "buy it for life" home gym equipment, I'd love to hear about it. I already know about the SS rack and SS bench and that's what I'm leaning towards for replacing my current gym.

The shoe deal is still in progress. We recommend the SS Belt: Equipment | Starting Strength

I'm glad to hear the shoe deal is still in the works. In the meantime, is there a shoe available to purchase now that you can recommend? I'm also confused on whether you (SS) recommend wearing heeled shoed for all the lifts. I've seen where people recommend to only used heeled shoes for squats and that flats (or 1/2 inch heel shoes -- impossible to find) should be used for presses and deadlifts. To be honest, I don't want to change shoes in the gym. It feels a bit "douchey" for lack of a better term. I'm not some special powerlifting phenom, I just want a shoe that works for all the lifts. Can you recommend such a shoe? If not, do you recommend different shoes for different lifts? Any clarification is appreciated.

The shoe we're working on will have a 5/8" net heel. My thoughts on shoes are quite widely distributed on these forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Railbob1776 View Post
    Can you recommend such a shoe? If not, do you recommend different shoes for different lifts? Any clarification is appreciated.
    I personally have a pair of Nike Romaleos and haven't had any trouble with them in the past three years. However, I typically recommend the Powerlift 4 from Adidas as a pair is half the price--certainly better if you are going to throw them to the homeless when the Starting Strength weightlifting boot goes on the market, like I am intending. It is also important to note that this shoe will NOT fit your foot if it is even remotely wider than usual; that's what I have seen on these forums coupled with reviews on their website. Get yourself some weightlifting shoes though. It will be worth the investment.

Yep, just read an article you wrote on shoes. Looks like I'll just stick to my flats seeing as I have long-ass femurs and feel good in the flats. No need to change. Thanks!

What article was this?

Quote Originally Posted by Dalton Rankin View Post
    What article was this?
    Shoes | Mark Rippetoe

Flat shoes are useful for people with short tibias and long femurs, who will already have their knees forward because long femurs just do that to a guy.

Nevertheless, flats (most notably Chuck Taylor's and Vans) provide zero arch support to increase the effective surface area of the foot and, thus, stability with the ground. While it is understood that the increased heel height promotes forward knees, it is also vital to consider the support that you will get from a weightlifting shoe. Take this into consideration at the very least, and it has been my experience, along with countless of other lifters throughout the SS community, that a pair of quality weightlifting shoes are an indispensable component of an effective strength training regime.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalton Rankin View Post
    Nevertheless, flats (most notably Chuck Taylor's and Vans) provide zero arch support to increase the effective surface area of the foot and, thus, stability with the ground. While it is understood that the increased heel height promotes forward knees, it is also vital to consider the support that you will get from a weightlifting shoe. Take this into consideration at the very least, and it has been my experience, along with countless of other lifters throughout the SS community, that a pair of quality weightlifting shoes are an indispensable component of an effective strength training regime.
    I'll stick to flats but I'm always open to suggestions for a flat lifting shoe. So far, I haven't heard any, I'll stick to what I have until then. Thanks.