starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home gym power rack footprint

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by EdTice View Post
    This is good advice. However, during the pandemic I had the gym setup in my one car garage that's only about nine feet wide. It was not super-easy to load the barbell. But I also never hit it against the wall lifting. I have since seen the error of my ways and turned the rack so that it's along the long side of the garage. Of course now I can never park there again. But it's way more convenient.
    You mean you started facing (or facing away from) the garage door, and then turned 90 deg for more room on the sides of the barbell to load plates?

Does your concrete have slope leading out to the garage door? if yes, how did you deal with that? or are you just squatting, pressing, deadlifting on a slight cross-slope?

Either squatting away-from or into the slope essentially just changes your heel geometry on your shoes a tiny bit....whereas doing it cross-slope seems a little funky.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldandfat View Post
    Yikes. I need to correct this.

My rack is 44-1/2” inside to inside. The rack is 2 x 2 so the outside is 48-1/2”. Basically it’s 49” outside. It’s not an,issue. 22” depth still also not an issue
    Hey Oldandfat,

Sounds like we have the same Parabody rack, the 843? This one is not mine but it is an 843:

How do you handle setting up the bar for the overhead press? I've long been frustrated by the rack's 49" max height limit for the outside bar catches which makes setting up for the press rather difficult. Do you just clean the bar from the floor or just crouch down to the bar awkwardly? I've had this rack for more than 20 years now and it does most of what I need save for the press. I'm frustrated to the point I'm looking at new racks as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
    You mean you started facing (or facing away from) the garage door, and then turned 90 deg for more room on the sides of the barbell to load plates?

Does your concrete have slope leading out to the garage door? if yes, how did you deal with that? or are you just squatting, pressing, deadlifting on a slight cross-slope?

Either squatting away-from or into the slope essentially just changes your heel geometry on your shoes a tiny bit....whereas doing it cross-slope seems a little funky.
    My initial setup was such that, when the bench was in the rack, I was facing the overhead door. When I squatted, I was facing the back wall of the garage. The house is new construction. Whatever slope there is in the garage wasn't something that I ever noticed. Although that may have changed if there was any movement of the ground. I'm in Florida where we don't have basements. Just concrete slabs poured directly onto the ground. Others living in this area have tried to setup garage gyms and had real trouble with a noticeable slope so I'm either lucky or brain-dead.

Quote Originally Posted by buddy0329 View Post
    Hey Oldandfat,

Sounds like we have the same Parabody rack, the 843? This one is not mine but it is an 843:

How do you handle setting up the bar for the overhead press? I've long been frustrated by the rack's 49" max height limit for the outside bar catches which makes setting up for the press rather difficult. Do you just clean the bar from the floor or just crouch down to the bar awkwardly? I've had this rack for more than 20 years now and it does most of what I need save for the press. I'm frustrated to the point I'm looking at new racks as a result.
    Nope, not the same rack. Not sure what the number is. Mine doesn’t have pop pins. 2 x 2 tubing. 1” holes spaced 2-1/2” apart. J cups are kinda like the rip rack “bolts”. They are 1” rod with a square of metal welded at the end.

I,can set mine up for presses.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldandfat View Post
    Nope, not the same rack. Not sure what the number is. Mine doesn’t have pop pins. 2 x 2 tubing. 1” holes spaced 2-1/2” apart. J cups are kinda like the rip rack “bolts”. They are 1” rod with a square of metal welded at the end.

I,can set mine up for presses.

Thanks.

I decided to just bite the bullet and ordered a new rack.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12