Home gym power rack footprint Home gym power rack footprint

starting strength gym
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Home gym power rack footprint

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    637

    Default Home gym power rack footprint

    • wichita falls texas december seminar 2020
    • wichita falls texas february 2021 seminar
    • starting strength seminar april 2021
    I have very limited space at my small home and garage for a gym. I am hoping to find room for a power rack and platform. What do you think is the minimum square footage I need for a rack, platform, and some sort of weight rack? Rip's recommendation for the platform seems to be 8'x8' - but I wonder how much space I need around that to be able to load the weights, etc. Considering a shed in the backyard, e.g.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    58

    Default

    You'll need more width than depth. 11' wide will give you just under 2' on each side to load the barbell. You could shrink that down to 10' but that's pretty tight.

    Depth could be as little as 6' with half of that for the rack and half for a deadlift platform. You could also deadlift inside the rack and make it really compact. The back uprights on the rack can be used for plate storage so you could do without a plate tree.

    Get out the tape measure.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    637

    Default

    Thank you, Steve.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Don't go for too shallow rack. I have made a 30" depth between the front and back posts. 27" may be just enough. 22", as in Rip's original design may not be enough.

    Width, yes 11 ft, as Steve mentioned.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    58

    Default

    One other dimension not to forget is overhead clearance. When I converted my one car garage to a workout room, I discovered the garage door opener and the tracks was an issue, as they didn't give enough clearance for overhead presses or moves. I decided I need 8 feet overhead clearance to be safe.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    637

    Default

    Thank you, PuliMorgan.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Cox View Post
    One other dimension not to forget is overhead clearance. When I converted my one car garage to a workout room, I discovered the garage door opener and the tracks was an issue, as they didn't give enough clearance for overhead presses or moves. I decided I need 8 feet overhead clearance to be safe.
    Good point. Thanks

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PuliMorgan View Post
    Don't go for too shallow rack. I have made a 30" depth between the front and back posts. 27" may be just enough. 22", as in Rip's original design may not be enough.

    Width, yes 11 ft, as Steve mentioned.
    Respectfully disagree. I have a parabody rack. It’s 22” deep. Absolutely nothing wrong with that depth. To me more important is the rack width. My rack is 44-1/2” outside to outside. Again no problems. Lots of people complain about hitting uprights if the outside to outside is 49”

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    120

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldandfat View Post
    Respectfully disagree. I have a parabody rack. It’s 22” deep. Absolutely nothing wrong with that depth. To me more important is the rack width. My rack is 44-1/2” outside to outside. Again no problems. Lots of people complain about hitting uprights if the outside to outside is 49”
    You are right. 22 inch depth may be okay if the width is 44.5 inches outside to outside. Mine is 48.5+ inches and and I occasionally hit the uprights while stepping backwards for squats.

    Details of my rack here: How I built a Complete Home Gym during the COVID-19 Lockdown - YouTube

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •