starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lifting shoe recommendation

Default Lifting shoe recommendation

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm sure there's a lot of these, but it's really getting to be time I need a new pair. I've got long, but not particularly wide feet. So I'm looking for a shoe that'll fit a narrower foot snugly. I'm also looking for an arch strap that can be fastened tight without any part of it breaking. The metal hoop the straps loop through on my current shoes both broke, revealing they were only metal plated and the inside was the same crappy cheap zinc they use in coins nowadays. Not looking for a big heel raise.

adidas

I have recommended these to a couple of my lifters. They fit them really well, and the size guide is pretty essential to not having to reorder another pair. Furthermore, the Powerlift 4 has the shortest heel height that I know on the market, and it has proven the test of time with my former high school strength coach--one of the Good Ones that has been to a seminar--who has had his pair ever since I started lifting under him in 2016.
    Last edited by Dalton Rankin; 09-02-2020 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalton Rankin View Post
    adidas

I have recommended these to a couple of my lifters. They fit them really well, and the size guide is pretty essential to not having to reorder another pair. Furthermore, the Powerlift 4 has the shortest heel height that I know on the market, and it has proven the test of time with my former high school strength coach--one of the Good Ones that has been to a seminar--who has had his pair ever since I started lifting under him in 2016.
    I notice it has one strap, like my current pair do. I see a lot of lifting shoes with two straps though, is there any particular benefit to that setup?

In my experience the number of metatarsal straps are irrelevant in comparison to simply having metatarsal straps on your weightlifting shoes. My hypothesis for the reasoning behind the single strap is that there only needs to be one. To elaborate on what I mean, the toe box provides a tight fit on the front of the foot, while the heel (back of the foot) contacts the heel of the weightlifting shoe and gives it quite a bit of security. The only place that could have an additional increase in stability is the midfoot; coincidentally, that is the place where a lifter needs the most stability. One metatarsal strap should, consequently, be directly over the midfoot. The spacing will not be the same with two straps, and it seems unnecessary to me. This is only my conjecture, but ultimately, the question of one or two metatarsal straps does not matter all that much.
    Last edited by Dalton Rankin; 09-03-2020 at 11:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalton Rankin View Post
    In my experience the number of metatarsal straps are irrelevant in comparison to simply having metatarsal straps on your weightlifting shoes. My hypothesis for the reasoning behind the single strap is that there only needs to be one. To elaborate on what I mean, the toe box provides a tight fit on the front of the foot, while the heel (back of the foot) contacts the heel of the weightlifting shoe and gives it quite a bit of security. The only place that could have an additional increase in stability is the midfoot; coincidentally, that is the place where a lifter needs the most stability. One metatarsal strap should, consequently, be directly over the midfoot. The spacing will not be the same with two straps, and it seems unnecessary to me. This is only my conjecture, but ultimately, the question of one or two metatarsal straps does not matter all that much.
    Thanks, was wondering if maybe there was a benefit I might miss to that.

I have Dowins which have two straps. I think the metatarsal strap(s) is a crutch for people that don't tie their shoes well, hahaha. I think a tightly tied shoe gives the same support and stability. The strap(s) are tougher than the eyelets so maybe they can support more force. But we'll never know with old body and what it can lift.

One nicety of the two straps is I can tuck my shoe laces under them and keep them from coming untied.

I would worry more about a shoe that fit than one strap or two.

We don need no stinking lifting shoessquats.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Dave View Post
    We don need no stinking lifting shoessquats.jpg
    Here's Oliver Sacks squatting 600 in work boots.

Ouch. Not only squatting in boots, but he has all of that 600lb above the traps and on his neck. Before I began Starting Strength and had some proper guidance on squats, the last time I let a high bar squat get that high, I had a stress headache for a week (on top of my occipital neuralgia), along with a bulging cervical disk.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Cox View Post
    Ouch. Not only squatting in boots, but he has all of that 600lb above the traps and on his neck.
    Not to mention the foam pad under the bar. I do not think that it would do a whole lot, but then again I do not squat 600 pounds. The U-hooks also were a nice touch; certainly, those have killed more people than COVID-19. Although, one also has to consider the death count caused by the Corleone family that seems to be spotting him.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast