starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Horse mat vs plywood

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Really appreciate these replies. A couple of follow up comments and questions.....

1) if I build a platform (~3 inches) and put insulation on the ceiling (~2 inches?), I've now got a low ceiling for Press,and full lockout can't happen whenever I get to 45s. What's the solution? It may not even be enough clearance for 25s and change.

2) the dryer vent is ~7 ft from the ceiling (straight up) and ~14ft from an outside facing wall. I'm not sure how I can run a dryer vent like Oso recommended... Wouldn't the long length cause issues, like clogging of the 'hose/line'?

3) if we didn't run the dryer, on a normal day, it probably gets to 130 degrees. But I am not working out lost days at that time of day, so it doesn't matter much. With the dryer, of course it is even worse. I'm wondering if I can create some shade on the roof to assist.

I've trained the squat on rubber and wood. I recently built a SS squat rack with a wooden floor. The crispy rebound out of the bottom is superior. For the first time in a while I'm making PR's squatting on wood. current pr 474x5x3. I don't think it matters as much for deadlift.

I have a question about the horse mat and I don't know if I should create a topic, so I ask here:

What thickness of horse mat do you recommend for my home weight room, to use it directly on the floor (that is, without making a platform with wood) ????

I've seen two different ways to make a platform, from Alan Thrall (Video) and Art of Manliness (article). Seems relatively easy, even for someone as incapable of building something like I am. I do not recall seeing any articles from Rip in any of my searches, but I'm sure I missed it.

Since it's so easy, that's probably what I'll do. Spend $250 on a really nice platform. And I'll probably use it A LOT since I made it.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    I do not recall seeing any articles from Rip in any of my searches, but I'm sure I missed it.
    Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training, 3rd edition (Current Revision, Paperback) – The Aasgaard Company

starting strength coach development program
    My home gym is outside on a covered patio; the floor is 1'x1' stone looking tiles that I have the 2'x2' rubber tiles from Rogue laid on top. I'm considering building a plywood section to lay among the rubber tiles to be where I stand for deadlifts, not really sure if it is vital as the rubber seems pretty rigid. I don't know much about horse mats. Still, the rubber tiles from Rogue have channels on the bottom for water/moisture to travel out from under the tiles, I recently moved my setup roughly 6 inches, and I didn't notice any moisture or damage from moisture under the tiles; they had been in place for about a year and a half, and I have hosed everything down numerous times over that time frame.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12