starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gear and age

Default Gear and age

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I was trying to hold off on using a belt and knee sleeves until I was further along. However, I have learned that I am a 'masters' aged athlete. At 42 years, I still consider myself young, and more importantly, I still 'feel' young. I'm trying not to have this be a mental limitation and I want to physically train like a 20 year old. However, at the same time, I am wondering if using a few pieces of gear earlier in the program makes sense as we get up in age. I don't know if I 'need' a belt and knee sleeves right now, but I am thinking that it might allow me to train harder, longer. My weights are still low: squat 195, dead lift 265. I am 160 lbs. I haven't been using any gear for the presses, and I've only been using the belt and sleeves on the work sets.

Go ahead and use the belt wherever appropriate. It isn't making it easier. It just lets you exert more force from the midsection isometrically. If you know how to do the lifts well enough, just slap it on for all your work sets where it works. It really works that infamous "core". Sleeves are just for keeping the knees warm. I'd say don't be so worried about using either of them.

I think the belt and sleeves are two different issue. My understanding is the belt gives you something to brace against, actually improving your valsalva. I'm starting LP all over again after the covid break and I'm using a belt on all work sets, no matter how light. To me the belt is a training tool to teach good tightness on the lift.

Sleeves are a theoretic thing. If you have creaky knees that enjoy a sleeve then by all means use them. If you don't like sleeves, then don't use them. I don't particularly use sleeves on the squat but on cold winter mornings they feel good.

Keep in mind that young guys with common sense us belts. So using a belt is not a young vs old thing. It's a want to be a better lifter thing.

I'm 42 as well. Knee sleeves relieve a niggling pain I occasionally get in my......knees. I can lift more with a belt, which is my goal, but still didn't stop something go snap, crackle and pop in my lower back a few weeks ago.
    I'd recommend doing at least your last warm up set with the gear as well

Buy the gear now. You'll need it in a few weeks at most and it takes time to arrive on your doorstep.

SBD knee sleeves carefully sized to your knee circumference are the way to go. I have better squat form wearing them and other SBD users I've talked to say the same thing.

Belts are harder because you have to choose between 3" and 4" width. I think the widest belt that fits between your ribs and hip bones is best, but it is a very individual thing and some people just can't use a 4" without bruising a rib. The best thing is to use a borrowed belt if that's possible.

You don't need much gear to lift but the belt and sleeves and your squat shoes are essential.

Didn't read your post carefully enough. If you already have the gear you should definitely use it and get as familiar with it as possible before the bar gets real heavy.

Thanks for all the great replies! This all makes sense. I will continue wearing the belt and sleeves. What is the reasoning behind wearing the gear on the last warm up set? I've heard that from other places as well.

I've read all the books including the blue book, the grey book, The Barbell Prescription, Mean Ol Mr Gravity and Strong Enough. I could probably stand to re-read a lot of the info, since I may have tried to take in too much info in a relatively short amount of time. I have actually been meaning to spend some more time with BBT.

starting strength coach development program
    I'll be 69 in a couple of months. I had no idea I was supposed to use knee sleeves.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast