starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ordering / finding a Starting Strength-quality belt from South Korea

Default Ordering / finding a Starting Strength-quality belt from South Korea

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Howdy,

I'm an American citizen residing in The Land of Kimchi and Plastic Surgery.
    (35 years old - 5'11'' - 105kg)
    (Current PRs:
    Squat 126kg 3x5
    Press 68kg 3x3
    Deadlift 145kg 3x5)

It's probably past time for me to have started using a belt, so I'm shopping around. I would love to order a Starting Strength Weightlifting belt or at least something of similar quality. (LG size, since my waist is around 40in.) The problem with having a SS belt shipped out here is the ghastly shipping price ($60.15) making the total $235.15. All the local retailers I've seen online include a similar shipping price in their final cost, as well, for the SS product.

Are there other brands y'all could recommend, that would offer a large, 2-ply, 3-inch leather weightlifting belt? Or some other stunt you know I could pull to get something as good?

Have your mom buy the belt and ship it to you.

That's not a "ghastly" price for shipping from the United States to Southeast Asia.

I guess if Korea was in Southeast Asia you might have a point.

If you can't get the belt you want at a price you are comfortable with you either have to accept that you need to pay more for quality or find something suitable at your price point. I started lifting so long ago that I don't know if any of the top belt manufacturers even existed. My first belt came from a leather supply company, which is one way to get what you want. In the last couple of years, I bought a Stoic factory second one for less than $40 and a Rogue 13mm lever belt for $100 on eBay. The Rogue belt is the best powerlifting belt I have ever owned. I imagine I would feel the same way about the SS one. Depending on where you live in South Korea, you should be able to either find one that works for you.
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 10-06-2020 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Spelling

Is it a possibility to get someone you know on a military base to order it? The military tends to get good deals on shipping.

I ended up getting a Rogue 3-inch belt. Used it for the first time yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Blurmpf View Post
    Howdy,

I'm an American citizen residing in The Land of Kimchi and Plastic Surgery.
    (35 years old - 5'11'' - 105kg)
    (Current PRs:
    Squat 126kg 3x5
    Press 68kg 3x3
    Deadlift 145kg 3x5)

It's probably past time for me to have started using a belt, so I'm shopping around. I would love to order a Starting Strength Weightlifting belt or at least something of similar quality. (LG size, since my waist is around 40in.) The problem with having a SS belt shipped out here is the ghastly shipping price ($60.15) making the total $235.15. All the local retailers I've seen online include a similar shipping price in their final cost, as well, for the SS product.

Are there other brands y'all could recommend, that would offer a large, 2-ply, 3-inch leather weightlifting belt? Or some other stunt you know I could pull to get something as good?
    I have the same problem. Shipping to Europe is very expensive and whilst I don't mind the cost I'd rather pay Rip than usps. He gives away so much time and resource helping people learn how to train it makes me want to buy his stuff, although I'm sure he doesn't need my custom specifically I want to support what he does.

Quote Originally Posted by Blurmpf View Post
    I ended up getting a Rogue 3-inch belt. Used it for the first time yesterday.
    Mind if I ask where you ended up getting your belt and how much you paid for it? And are you happy with it? I'm in South Korea as well and looking for a belt. Thanks!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by spaceman View Post
    Mind if I ask where you ended up getting your belt and how much you paid for it? And are you happy with it? I'm in South Korea as well and looking for a belt. Thanks!
    Guys, you might want to ask one of our coaches there: Inhyuk Eun

He'll know of local options and best ways to ship.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast