starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: B&R Bar 1.0

Question B&R Bar 1.0

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Are B&R bar 1.0s worth much now a days? I've got one and I'm not too happy with how ill fit the sleeve is on the bar (vertical slop) by design. Figured maybe they're worth something to fellow SS fans?

I think if it’s still straight and the knurl is still there then it is worth about as much as you paid for it because it still does what you bought it for. On the other hand, it’s worth what someone will give you for it.

I own a b&r 1.0 and a 2.0 and like the 1.0 best because it doesn’t have those silly clips holding it together.

what are you going to replace it with?

You shouldn't start out a sales pitch with how much you dislike your product.
    Attached Images Attached Images

To clarify, I do really like the barbell and have used it extensively since I got it in 2012. Knurl is still good. The main problem I have is with the vertical slop in the sleeve that annoys me a little when deadlifting. From what I've read it's very common in the B&R 1.0 bars and I wouldn't try to hide it from anyone interested. I would imagine the bar is valuable for its limited run and value to SS fans/collectors, not it's manufacturing perfection.

I was planning on replacing it with a stainless steel shaft/sleeve Ohio power bar. What's wrong with the clips on Rogue bars? It's not like they break doing basic barbell movements.

The first B&R Bar was made for Rogue by York, a shitty company that has had uncorrected problems with their sleeve bushings on most of their bars for decades. They just didn't care enough to fix it. The 2.0 from Rogue is an excellent bar, as is the SS Bar from Capps Welding. I prefer the roller pin assembly on the SS Bar, but there's noting really wrong with the clip, they don't normally fail. The SS Bar has the best knurl in the industry.

Thank you for the information Mark. I did not know it was a systemic and historic problem of neglect by York. I also did not know there was a new SS bar by made by Capps. I think I might go that route as I prefer 28.5mm diameter in general - and it seems Rogue has left a 28.5mm center knurled bar out of their lineup for some reason. The temptation to get a stainless steel bar to match my all clad kitchen pans is still there though.

Is the Capps SS bar knurl of similar merit to the B&R 1.0 / 2.0?

Again, the SS Bar has the best knurl in the industry.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinwillz View Post
    ...What's wrong with the clips on Rogue bars? It's not like they break doing basic barbell movements.
    They are harder to remove than the roll pins, that’s all. I have never seen one of the clips fail either.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The first B&R Bar was made for Rogue by York, a shitty company that has had uncorrected problems with their sleeve bushings on most of their bars for decades. They just didn't care enough to fix it. The 2.0 from Rogue is an excellent bar, as is the SS Bar from Capps Welding. I prefer the roller pin assembly on the SS Bar, but there's noting really wrong with the clip, they don't normally fail. The SS Bar has the best knurl in the industry.
    Begs the question then sir, why attach your name to a bar (B&R 1.0) you do not have confidence in and made by a "shitty company" ? I purchased one and have no issues with it, however like many, I took your affiliation with it to mean that it was a bar of superior quality for the money. I do hope this is not the case with the "Starting Strength Equipment" line up from Texas Strength Systems of which I am awaiting delivery for an entire set.

starting strength coach development program
    Because when I designed the bar it had not yet been manufactured, the manufacturing problems didn't show up until AFTER it was manufactured, and I did not control either the sales or the manufacturing of the bar. In fact, I do not control the sales or the manufacturing of the SS Equipment we link to now on this website. And I'm obviously a rotten sonofabitch, so don't buy it. And "begging the question" does not mean what you think it means. Look it up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast