starting strength gym

Thread: Figure of 8 lifting straps

Default Figure of 8 lifting straps

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Questions for SSC coaches on figure of 8 lifting straps.

Out of respect for the forum rules I have not posted an external link, but please find a picture below

Figure 8 straps.jpg

These seem to wrap around the bar and are advertised as being easier to fasten etc than traditional ones.

Are there any concerns about these that the coaches have? ie Any reasons why they should not be recommended as alternatives to the usual ones

More a general question on figure of eight straps not these specifically. I realize that they need to be of good quality material etc

the downside of the 8s is that you can NOT let go of the bar except when it is sitting on the ground. i use them because i can never get the traditional straps wrapped properly, but ymmv

Quote Originally Posted by startingstrengther View Post
    Questions for SSC coaches on figure of 8 lifting straps.

Out of respect for the forum rules I have not posted an external link, but please find a picture below

Figure 8 straps.jpg

These seem to wrap around the bar and are advertised as being easier to fasten etc than traditional ones.

Are there any concerns about these that the coaches have? ie Any reasons why they should not be recommended as alternatives to the usual ones

More a general question on figure of eight straps not these specifically. I realize that they need to be of good quality material etc
    No good for Olympic lifts, or when you want to get rid of the bar in a hurry. Rip recommends a plain strap, a bit of seat belt. I use the standard loop style from Iron mind. Seem to work OK for me. I’d avoid figure of 8.