starting strength gym

Thread: Rust on a cerakote bar?

Default Rust on a cerakote bar?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    We bought a cerakote Texas Power Bar in June, and I think it's rusted now?? I thought cerakote didn't rust - has anyone else experienced this?

We have always stored/used it inside, but don't have AC so the summer can get relatively humid. It's mostly rusted anywhere we've gripped it with our hands.

Do you have any idea how we can clean the rust off without damaging the coating? And prevent more rust in the future?

Pictures:

Cerakote rust 2 | Elle N | Flickr

Cerakote rust | Elle N | Flickr

Elle — I don't have a cerakote TPB, opting for the raw bar earlier this spring, but I also live in a pretty dry climate. Your post had me curious though.

Have you run across this post by Two Rep Cave? If you live anywhere in that god-forsaken 2/3 of the country east of the Rockies where there's that awful thing called humidity, you just might get that discoloring. My initial thought, confirmed in the post, is just run a nylon brush over it. Anything stiffer will start to scratch (and remove) that coating.

Perhaps a quick wipe with some isopropyl (not rubbing) alcohol after you two finish your session will help.

Bill

Thanks Bill! We live in New England, so there's humidity but not like... South Carolina humidity. Per that article, I'd at least hope a barbell kept inside for 4 months would look better than a gun left outside for 6! But I'll try out a nylon brush and see what happens.

Honestly, I would contact the manufacturer. Considering the reputation of Texas Power Bars and the protection against rust that Cerakote should provide, rust appearing so quickly doesn't sound normal. I have an E-Cote version of the Rogue Power Bar in my garage and I don't perform any maintenance on it and the shaft looks new. I also have a zinc deadlift bar that I simply brush the chalk off occasionally and the shaft looks pristine. Since Cerakote should have better rust protection than E-Coat or zinc and your bar is kept indoors, it seems odd that you are already seeing rust.

I agree with Bill that using a nylon brush is the proper way to remove chalk and other debris. Also, Cerakote does chip, so one needs to be careful when allowing the shaft to contact metal. The coating will last longer if J-cups are UMHW lined. Also, if you have a tendency to bail onto the safeties, straps won't cause the damage to knurling than metal pins.

Well, it has now been 3 weeks since I contacted Texas Power Bar about the rust with no response.

We bought this bar in part because of the good reviews about customer service, but it has not been the case for us at all.
    When we bought the bar in May, the stated lead time was 2-3 weeks. It ended up taking 6 to ship with no update or apology. Judging by their Instagram we actually lucked out only having to wait that long. And it was well into a pandemic, so I get that delays happen.
    Then the rust appeared. After 2 weeks with no response to my email, I reached out to them on Instagram, since that seems to be somewhat effective. They had someone call who clearly had never seen my email, and requested I re-send the pictures to the same email (I did). And now it's been another week with nothing.

I cleaned the bar off with a nylon brush and also took it outside into the sunlight to get a better look at it in. It was obvious then that the cerakote coating just wasn't complete. It's in the "valleys" of the knurling but not all the way up the peaks. This is true all along the bar, not just at the high use areas.

For clarification, our J cups and safety catches are both UHMW lined and we use a wood deadlift jack.

When looking at your pictures, I was surprised that the Cerakote coating appeared so thin which is why I suggested contacting the manufacturer. What you described is clearly not caused by something you did. I hope you didn't think that I was implying that what you are observing was caused by chipping due to contact with bare metal instead what appears to be a manufacturing defect.

Quote Originally Posted by Logan1 View Post
    When looking at your pictures, I was surprised that the Cerakote coating appeared so thin which is why I suggested contacting the manufacturer. What you described is clearly not caused by something you did. I hope you didn't think that I was implying that what you are observing was caused by chipping due to contact with bare metal instead what appears to be a manufacturing defect.
    Thanks Logan. I didn't really think you were implying anything by your comments, I was just trying to provide extra context in case anyone else is dealing with the same thing.

Update: they're sending us a new barbell. So that's a pretty good ending! I'll update if that one has the same issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Elle View Post
    Update: they're sending us a new barbell. So that's a pretty good ending! I'll update if that one has the same issue.
    Glad it worked out. I always appreciate when someone updates a post with results

starting strength coach development program
    Great news, Elle!