starting strength gym

Thread: 3” 6.5 mm belt for Squats?

Default 3” 6.5 mm belt for Squats?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Moved into a new house, and got my rack put back together. With coming back I started off light. Out of curiosity I used the belt for deadlifts for my squats. It’s a 3” 6.5mm belt. Would this belt still be alright to use when the weight starts to go up, or would I be better off going back to my 4” 10mm belt?

Thoughts??

Update on two car garage: Rack fits in there fine. I workout then pull the car in the garage afterwards.

Did you have any issues with the 4 inch one?

Some time ago I got a 3" 6.5mm belt just for deadlifts. I used for a while and it was ok. Then I used my 4" 10mm belt to deadlift and it felt a lot better so I've been using the 4" ever since.

Not everyone has enough space between hip and rib to use a 4". If it bites you then maybe you need a narrower belt. I an fairly short-waisted so I was sure I needed the narrow belt after reading something Rip wrote, but strangely enough the wide belt works just fine for my deadlift.

If your 4" belt is interfering with your setup then maybe you need to go narrower but if not don't expect the narrow belt to feel better. Correct back extension at the start of the lift may play a role in getting comfortable with the belt.

No issues with the 4” belt. Like Steve said reading some of Rips stuff and a few others about 3” belts. Maybe that’s what I should be using. I’m 5’7” and I also think the 4” belt feels better with the 3” does for deadlifts.
    I might just stay with the 4 for all my lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkansan View Post
    No issues with the 4” belt. Like Steve said reading some of Rips stuff and a few others about 3” belts. Maybe that’s what I should be using. I’m 5’7” and I also think the 4” belt feels better with the 3” does for deadlifts.
    I might just stay with the 4 for all my lifts.
    I got a total piece of crap belt last year which is now falling apart. The ss one looks good but it cost 72 usd to ship, I think I'm just going to suck it up and buy it anyway.