starting strength gym

Thread: Odd sized plates and Deadlifts

Default Odd sized plates and Deadlifts

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I’m sure this has been asked somewhere, but I can’t find it.

I’ve had to buy a pair of 25Kg plates which are presumably 450mm and the rest in smaller diameter 15K plates. Is there any problem loading up the bar with only one pair of plates touching the ground ? I’ve read a few things which don’t recommend doing that with a 5Kg bumper plate which must be pretty skinny beneath the plastic outer, the 25Kg bate steel plate is clearly more robust.

It should be fine. It will make loading the bar very easy, which is a nice bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by CrouchingWayne View Post
    It should be fine. It will make loading the bar very easy, which is a nice bonus.
    I’m hoping so. I’ve bought a pair of Deadlift deadeners to spread the load a bit more.

Take my advice for what it's worth, maybe nothing, but... I stopped at two pairs of Rogue 45lb Mil-Spec Echo plates. With the exception of my 1.25lb pair, all the rest of my plates are these CAP cast iron plates which are slightly smaller. I haven't had a problem yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Cox View Post
    Take my advice for what it's worth, maybe nothing, but... I stopped at two pairs of Rogue 45lb Mil-Spec Echo plates. With the exception of my 1.25lb pair, all the rest of my plates are these CAP cast iron plates which are slightly smaller. I haven't had a problem yet.
    That’s good news. I’ve bought a deadlift platform and done a few preliminary lifts with the 25Kg plates and it seems fine.