starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SS Barbell Questions

Default SS Barbell Questions

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Could anyone who has this bar please answer a couple questions for me? I've seen some discussion of #2, so really I'm most interested in an answer for #1.

1. What is the loadable sleeve length? (description implies its longer since the bar collar diameter is larger)
    2. What exactly makes the knurl of a SS bar "the best" when compared to a TPB or OPB?

My inclination is that the SS bar is best for all-purpose strength training due to having both IPF and IWF marks. I'd assume it's more comfortable knurl that makes it better for power cleans?

If powerlifting + the press is all you care about, would that make the TPB/OPB better in that the knurl is more aggressive and you wouldn't need the IWF markings?

1. 15 inches.

2. In my opinion, it is the best combination of "grippy" and fine. I don't like a coarse knurl, tears up your hands and is distracting at heavy weights. This knurl snags your grip without being too deep or sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    1. 15 inches.

2. In my opinion, it is the best combination of "grippy" and fine. I don't like a coarse knurl, tears up your hands and is distracting at heavy weights. This knurl snags your grip without being too deep or sharp.
    For training I wear a vest which helps the very poor knurl of the gym bars grip my skin. I’ve noticed my new barbell has left a few bruises and grazes on my bare skin, so I’m going to wear a cotton tee due to the improved grip. Would that be similar to the SS bar ? I’m thinking that the ATX bar has a similar level of knurl as its very grippy, but it doesn’t tear up my hands.

I don't know. Never seen an ATX bar.

Would you happily wear a singlet/vest with the SS bar without fear of grazing the skin of the back during squats ? Might give me some comparison for future purchases as getting hold of anything made in the US to try out is just about impossible.

Rip I was watching an old video where you mentioned you distribute through Pullum in the UK. They seem to be out of stock for all bars at the moment but do you have any plans to distribute through them or any other company in the UK in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    Would you happily wear a singlet/vest with the SS bar without fear of grazing the skin of the back during squats ? Might give me some comparison for future purchases as getting hold of anything made in the US to try out is just about impossible.
    We say "T-shirt" instead of vest in the States. Gym clothing is addressed in the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Sib View Post
    Rip I was watching an old video where you mentioned you distribute through Pullum in the UK. They seem to be out of stock for all bars at the moment but do you have any plans to distribute through them or any other company in the UK in the future.
    We do not sell barbell equipment, either here or in the UK.

We say "T-shirt" instead of vest in the States. Gym clothing is addressed in the book.

We do not sell barbell equipment, either here or in the UK.
    OK thanks

Anybody have any scoop on how soon the SS bar may be available to order again?

starting strength coach development program
    Is the knurl on the SS bar the same as their All American Bar? If so then are they the same barbell?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast