starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ironscanner: A web scraper for gym equipment

Default Ironscanner: A web scraper for gym equipment

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    As a personal project I've been working on a web application that would periodically screen-scrape various gym equipment vendors and provide a searchable database for available/in-stock equipment. It also provides the ability to sign up for email notifications when certain types of equipment become available.

You can check it out here: Ironscanner Scraper - Home

Any feedback, comments, and suggestions are certainly welcome. Maybe even mandatory. If you encounter any errors or weirdness please send me a DM here or email: info-at-ironscanner.com

Other points:

• Vendors and items are currently added by hand, so if you have suggestions for which websites and items you would like to see please let me know.
    • The scrapers currently run in the US. This may affect how we determine price and availability (e.g. I don't know if rogue.com may show different information if you're in the UK vs the US).
    • If you're a frontend web developer and/or AWS expert and would like to collaborate please drop me a line.

Rep Fitness has some good affordable equipment if you want to add them to the list of vendors. They regularly refill their stock of weights, barbells, and power racks. This is a wonderful online tool, thank you!

Thanks for the tip! I've added the useful items from REP Fitness to the catalog.

Since you are posting on the SS forums you should consider including SS Equipment

Equipment | Starting Strength

The Strengthco is affiliated w/ SS and also sells equipment Barbell Gym Equipment – The Strength Co.

Thanks! I found a rack and basic plate set back in late September. I've been looking idly for a couple of months* at craigslist and facebook marketplace for used plates, and never found anything regional (Fingerlakes area of Upstate New York). I just passed 225# on my deadlift, so I was going to need more weight fairly soon. I used Ironscanner and found a pair of 45# plates at Rogue - not the shiny colorful ones but the black military spec. $218 delivered in 3 days! Thanks again!
    --Michael Tinkler, the Cranky Professor.

Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Professor View Post
    Thanks! I found a rack and basic plate set back in late September. I've been looking idly for a couple of months* at craigslist and facebook marketplace for used plates, and never found anything regional (Fingerlakes area of Upstate New York). I just passed 225# on my deadlift, so I was going to need more weight fairly soon. I used Ironscanner and found a pair of 45# plates at Rogue - not the shiny colorful ones but the black military spec. $218 delivered in 3 days! Thanks again!
    --Michael Tinkler, the Cranky Professor.
    Great, glad it could help! Hope it makes your Christmas a little stronger and harder to kill.

Update: I've added The Strength Co. to the list of vendors, so hopefully the equipment there should start showing up in peoples' inboxes soon.

The Strength Co. Online Store

Ironscanner Scraper - Home

Thanks Joe.

Ironscanner Scraper worked for me too.
    Once I decided I was not going to pay the outrageous prices for old York 45's listed online just to match my old York set I've been trying to get their milled Legacy plates but they are frequently out of stock.
    Ironscanner got me on them.

Now how do I turn off the email notifications?

Quote Originally Posted by Lost and Found View Post
    Thanks Joe.

Ironscanner Scraper worked for me too.
    Once I decided I was not going to pay the outrageous prices for old York 45's listed online just to match my old York set I've been trying to get their milled Legacy plates but they are frequently out of stock.
    Ironscanner got me on them.

Now how do I turn off the email notifications?
    Great! Glad it helped. You can turn off email notifications by:

1. Login w/ Google
    2. Go to "Email Notification" in the left hand menu
    3. Uncheck "Notifications Enabled"
    4. Click "Submit"

Please let me know if this doesn't work.

Unchecked "Email notifications enabled" but still didn't work.

And York fooled me. They sent me an email and refunded my money. Their mistake; the plates I ordered are in fact not available and they have no idea when they will be.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost and Found View Post
    Unchecked "Email notifications enabled" but still didn't work.

And York fooled me. They sent me an email and refunded my money. Their mistake; the plates I ordered are in fact not available and they have no idea when they will be.
    I think I've identified the bug that's causing you to still receive emails and a fix is in progress. Thank you for the heads up! If you're still receiving emails after today please send me a message.

York's problems may force me to prioritize a reporting feature where users can flag some items or vendors as being inaccurate or misleading in terms of availability.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast