starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sleeve spin

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    I think it’s a problem with the sleeves. I loaded a plate on one side and even a slight movement of the plate results in binding which turned the shaft with sufficient force that it was as if the sleeve was welded. If I spin the weight moderately I can feel the sleeve binding on and off as it rotates. I’ve never felt that with the bars in the gym-I can load a plate and spin it and it does so nice and freely. Where the sleeve on my bar binds, then rotates back, which is what I’m feeling. Looks like it’s faulty. It’s my first bar, so I thought it might be just getting used to it and couldn’t directly compare to the gym bars because Covid has closed them.
    We could probably see this if you posted a video.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    We could probably see this if you posted a video.
    You might not. I discovered that if I get it between the bind points it works fine, so it’s not consistent. I pulled 170Kg the other day without an issue, but felt it on 120Kg for a set of 5. Just depends where it sits. I had noticed something peculiar when I got the bar, the knurling went right up to the sleeve, maybe inside the bearing -on the other ATX bars the knurling stops close to the sleeve, but definitely not right up against the bearing. I suspect when I load it, then the bearings chomp down on the knurling in an uneven fashion.

What’s that saying ? Act in haste, repent at leisure. I should have put my order in for a B&R bar and just accepted it might be a long wait.

did anyone mention oil ?

Quote Originally Posted by neilc1 View Post
    did anyone mention oil ?
    Did that already. 3:1 down the sleeve. It helped the spin, but the stiff area remained. In a sense it would be better without the sleeves spinning at all. It’s the angular velocity of the weights being braked by the resistance in the sleeves at those particular points which is causing the transference of the angular velocity to the barbell shaft which is where the problem is. A totally loose sleeve, or a very stiff sleeve which were consistent would be fine.

Video?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Video?
    I’m waiting for an exchange Bar from my supplier Mark, so no video. They suggested I pull the bar apart and grease it, but without a pipe vice and a bit of heat I couldn’t remove the threaded end cap. I was curious to see if there was anything obvious on the bar. My guess is that the tolerances are marginally over tight for the quality of the bearing/shaft. It’s sold as a pro bar with an ipf rating and is superior in strength to their standard bar, so they were probably going for a closer fit to give a less noisy sleeve, which means it’s going to be a more fussy build. Hopefully the new bar will sort it. I really did want the SS bar, I will probably sell this one when the supply situation improves. I’m really not liking plated finishes for dead lifts. I prefer the dry feel of bare steel over slippery plate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12