starting strength gym

Thread: Gear recommendation - straps and belt thickness.

Default Gear recommendation - straps and belt thickness.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello Rip,
    Dominion Strength sell lifting straps. They have 4 types - open loop, figure 8, closed loop, olympic lifting straps.
    Do you have a recommendation?
    The use would be mainly be rack pulls and shrugs. Some deadlifts, too.

Regarding a 3 inch belt, the Starting Strength belt is up to 10mm thick. I read the topic about it, and it wasn't mentioned why there is no 13mm thickness option. Would you prefer 13mm thick for more advanced and experienced lifters?

Thanks

10mm is a single thickness of sole leather with liners of suede or garment leather. 13mm requires two layers of sole leather and it is a LOT stiffer than you might expect being just 3mm thicker. Best to try before you buy or you may wind up with a belt you don't want to use.

Quote Originally Posted by TalEphrat View Post
    Hello Rip,
    Dominion Strength sell lifting straps. They have 4 types - open loop, figure 8, closed loop, olympic lifting straps.
    Do you have a recommendation?
    The use would be mainly be rack pulls and shrugs. Some deadlifts, too.

Regarding a 3 inch belt, the Starting Strength belt is up to 10mm thick. I read the topic about it, and it wasn't mentioned why there is no 13mm thickness option. Would you prefer 13mm thick for more advanced and experienced lifters?

Thanks
    10mm is fine. I’ve been lifting 3 years and there is little give in a good sole leather 10mm belt. In fact I think mine is slightly less than 10mm.

For straps. You don’t need anything fancy. Just an open strap. I use the loop type, from Ironmind, but I was getting straps again, then just the basic open type would be my choice. A bit of seat belt works as well as anything. Don’t get sucked into thinking you need some specific kind, its just a very simple concept which doesn’t require complication.