starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: horse stall mat over concrete

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Everything you've seen except the blue book.
    Whatever, I got your point. It's too difficult for you to answer a simple question, especially since I specifically stated that what's "in the book" does NOT work for me. FUCK ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I may just be lucky but I've just got 1 layer of stall mats in my garage and have not gotten any cracks yet. Have been lifting in there for a few years now. Last working set of deadlifts was 485. Given what other folks are saying though I may be lifting on a ticking time bomb. Of course lifting in the garage is different from in the driveway...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Cox View Post
    Whatever, I got your point. It's too difficult for you to answer a simple question, especially since I specifically stated that what's "in the book" does NOT work for me. FUCK ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    There is a section in the blue book about how to build a fucking platform, including a cross-section picture clearly showing the 3 plies -- 3 plies fixes the problem in the same footprint, fewer do not. The fact that your platform is on your fucking driveway does not change the physics, which I explained in my earlier response.

Don't you think it's a little weird to go to a website where a professional offers free advice and then you get mad when you don't like the advice he gave - ie "build the platform how I designed it."
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

I know coach, I got that, I've read it and already said that I read and studied it. I don't mean to be arguing with you, and I like the platform you designed too. What I'm saying is that what you have designed is too much for my workout room. If I knew where I live and own now is permanent, I'd consider building that setup in my garage, but I just don't know that it is, and would be worried such a big immoveable structure in my garage that would likely be useless to a potential buyer if I were to sell would hurt my resale value and chances of selling. On top of that, your platform would be quite expensive, a double layer sheet of 3/4" ply is pushing it for me right now.

That's why I'm asking what levels of shock transmission can be expected through a layer of 3/4" stable mat alone, and what level through stable mat + one layer of 3/4" ply; I'm wondering if anyone has actually TESTED and has any results of different levels of shock and/or damage beyond hearsay or that the only thing acceptable is what's "in the book". That's all I'm asking, I'm not saying I haven't RTFB, because I have.

That's why I'm asking what levels of shock transmission can be expected through a layer of 3/4" stable mat alone, and what level through stable mat + one layer of 3/4" ply; I'm wondering if anyone has actually TESTED and has any results of different levels of shock and/or damage beyond hearsay or that the only thing acceptable is what's "in the book". That's all I'm asking,
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    If you use one ply of horse mat, you will eventually crack your driveway if the slab is less that 4 inches and made of shitty mud. The reason for the plywood is that it is rigid, and the rigidity distributes the drop force over a much larger surface area that will happen under a flexible piece of rubber. Even 3 plies of rubber won't work as well.
    What do you not understand about this response? Do you want numbers?

your platform would be quite expensive, a double layer sheet of 3/4" ply is pushing it for me right now.
    If you desire, you can use OSB for the base, and MDF as the layer that you stand on.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Don't you think it's a little weird to go to a website where a professional offers free advice and then you get mad when you don't like the advice he gave - ie "build the platform how I designed it."
    No I don't think it was weird. It wasn't anger but frustration, at least at first. I am/was asking a very specific question to the community in general about the protection levels of different levels and layers of protection with specific test results. This is a specific question that is NOT - I REPEAT NOT - addressed adequately "in the book" for my needs - sorry we minions can't all conform the same. While I appreciate Rip's knowledge, what he answered with was "only my way is right". As I said I admire what he's designed but it will NOT work for me. I'm looking for ideas to allow me to build my own platform that WILL work for me. But what I got instead is the ongoing "my way or the highway" bullshit answer. I'm sorry, I'm not a mindless minion who blindly follows everything. I like the program, but there's no one right solution for everyone, and for my case it's platform. Also, I don't know where the fuck the idea I'm lifting in my driveway came from, I never said that at all, it's all in my one car garage.

This is the last I'll write on this thread about this, as I can see I'm getting nowhere. The attitude in the responses alone are pushing me very close to leaving the SS program altogether and likely be better off and healthier for it. Steven Z, thank you for your reply, it gives me a bit more confidence in going forward.

Okay, Steve.

starting strength coach development program
    Also, I don't know where the fuck the idea I'm lifting in my driveway came from, I never said that at all, it's all in my one car garage.
    uh, Steve, if you're still around you might re-read your first post before storming off.

>>Do you think a horse stall mat is sufficient to protect a concrete driveway from deadlifts under 400 lbs?<<

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast