starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: horse stall mat over concrete

Default horse stall mat over concrete

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Do you think a horse stall mat is sufficient to protect a concrete driveway from deadlifts under 400 lbs? I have bumper plates, and I realize I could build out a platform with plywood and the mats, but if I just wanted to use the horse stall mats am I taking an unreasonable risk I might crack my concrete? I don't drop the weights, but they are let down fairly heavily at times.

If you use one ply of horse mat, you will eventually crack your driveway if the slab is less that 4 inches and made of shitty mud. The reason for the plywood is that it is rigid, and the rigidity distributes the drop force over a much larger surface area that will happen under a flexible piece of rubber. Even 3 plies of rubber won't work as well.

Also keep in mind that repairing a concrete slab is a lot more expensive than three sheets of plywood and rubber matting.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

As a supplement to Rip’s description in the book: How to Build a Weightlifting Platform | The Art of Manliness

How much ply is needed? Everything I've seen so far recommends 2 layers of 3/4" ply overlaid with a 3/4" sheet of stable mat. Is there anything put out that says how much more protection a second layer of ply offers over one layer? I'm about to add some ply under my mats for protection and to bolt my squat rack to, but was only considering one sheet to make it easier if I need to move if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    If you use one ply of horse mat, you will eventually crack your driveway if the slab is less that 4 inches and made of shitty mud. The reason for the plywood is that it is rigid, and the rigidity distributes the drop force over a much larger surface area that will happen under a flexible piece of rubber. Even 3 plies of rubber won't work as well.
    Thanks, Coach. I will take that advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Cox View Post
    How much ply is needed? Everything I've seen so far recommends 2 layers of 3/4" ply overlaid with a 3/4" sheet of stable mat. Is there anything put out that says how much more protection a second layer of ply offers over one layer? I'm about to add some ply under my mats for protection and to bolt my squat rack to, but was only considering one sheet to make it easier if I need to move if needed.
    My thoughts are in the book.

Thank you Rip, I did re-read that section again, and I understand you want the platform much thicker. But I was just wondering if anyone had actual experience for how long the concrete holds up to different thicknesses. I understand it might not be ideal, but my rack is subject to occasionally having to be moved to allow attic access, so I'd rather something lighter that I could move if needed. I'm the only one who lives and trains here. If a single sheet of each might not protect enough for me alone, I was hoping to know as I'll have to rearrange my gym for something permanent - and something I could potentially have to leave behind and build again if I ever bought a new house.

Aside from the concrete, consider this: if you're bolting your rack to the plywood, I don't think one 3/4" layer is going to give you the stability you want.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Cox View Post
    Everything you've seen except the blue book.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast