starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Belt question

Default Belt question

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Because Merry Christmas to me, funds are available for the belt of my choice. Naturally I have my eye on one from Dominion Strength, and I'm trying to decide which one.

My basic stats:
    Male, 59, 5'10", 216 lbs, I guess what you would call normal proportions
    Squats in upper 300's (418 PR in competition), deadlift in upper 400's (519 PR), press in mid 100's.

I currently have two Pioneer Fitness belts, a 3" I use on deadlifts and a 4" for squats and presses, both 6.5mm thick. I have absolutely no complaints about the Pioneer belts at all, just looking for something a bit beefier, so am looking at the double ply version of the Dominion Starting Strength belt.

Question then is which width. I tried my 4" for deadlifts once and won't be repeating that uncomfortable experience ever again. I've read Rip's "The Belt and the Deadlift" article and searched the various other threads on the board but haven't come up with a conclusive answer. Do people find the 3" double ply works well for squats as well as deadlifts? I like the extra width to brace on while doing squats but wondering if the added thickness will make up for the reduction in width.

Thanks.

Buy the 2-ply SS belt. If you don't love it immediately, I'll buy it from you for the full price you paid.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Buy the 2-ply SS belt. If you don't love it immediately, I'll buy it from you for the full price you paid.
    Well, alrightly then.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Order placed.

Quote Originally Posted by RJPinAZ View Post
    Order placed.
    You won't sell it to Mark.

Shoutout to Rip for actually believing in what he puts his name on. How freaking cool

You won't regret having bought one.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Medina View Post
    Shoutout to Rip for actually believing in what he puts his name on. How freaking cool
    It was certainly a selling point as I believe Rip to be absolutely a man of his word.

Quote Originally Posted by RJPinAZ View Post
    It was certainly a selling point as I believe Rip to be absolutely a man of his word.
    The SS belt was so much better in every way to the piece of crap I had been using. You really appreciate the leap in quality when you've been using a piece of crap.

starting strength coach development program
    The SS belt will not leave you wanting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast