starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bar Capacity

Default Bar Capacity

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Is there a way to determine a bar's capacity? I bought it used. I can't find any manufacturer or brand name on it. Slight bend at 335 for my squats. Managed 350 deadlift a few times.

What do you mean by "capacity"?

Quote Originally Posted by jimbronsdon View Post
    Is there a way to determine a bar's capacity? I bought it used. I can't find any manufacturer or brand name on it. Slight bend at 335 for my squats. Managed 350 deadlift a few times.
    I'm going to assume you mean load rating. You cannot determine this without destroying the barbell or cutting parts off of it.
    Your best bet it make some assumptions about the brand based on what you see.

Do you have a picture?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Yeah, maybe i mean load rating. I loaned all 3 SS books to a friend a few days ago, so can't check. I just want to know that the bar can handle the weight I'm moving. Don't imagine I'll ever get beyond 405 (64 yrs old). Here are pics. I hope it tells you something.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That thing is a piece of shit, but it will probably survive 405 as long as you don't drop it crooked. Keep an eye on its straightness once a week or so.

Personally, I would sell it for $100 and buy an SS bar or a B&R2.0. You would be shocked at how much more enjoyable your training experience will be with a high-quality bar.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    That thing is a piece of shit, but it will probably survive 405 as long as you don't drop it crooked. Keep an eye on its straightness once a week or so.

Personally, I would sell it for $100 and buy an SS bar or a B&R2.0. You would be shocked at how much more enjoyable your training experience will be with a high-quality bar.
    I'm sure you're right, and thank you for your expert opinion, but what is it that makes it a piece of shit so I can justify the birthday gift I'll give to myself to another in the household (name withheld in interests of self preservation)?

Andrew, this is what you're talking about, right?

Rogue B&R Bar 2.0 | Rogue Fitness

Are there major differences between the two bars (SS & b&r)? All I can see is the diameters are half a mm different. What else am I missing?

Typically the hex bolt style are the junk you will find at globo-gyms, with crappy coatings and weak knurling. But it didn't stop me from squatting and pulling in the 400#s in my 20's

I agree, a good bar will improve your lifting experience. I like the Fringe wonder bar because it was in stock and it works.

I've managed to scote an Ohio power bar which is a beast and my favorite bar. I will give to my kids, but only after my death

Quote Originally Posted by jimbronsdon View Post
    I'm sure you're right, and thank you for your expert opinion, but what is it that makes it a piece of shit so I can justify the birthday gift I'll give to myself to another in the household (name withheld in interests of self preservation)?
    The assembly style indicates it's a commonly manufactured bar made out of weak steel. Having not touched it, I'd also assume the knurling is extremely soft.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    Andrew, this is what you're talking about, right?

Rogue B&R Bar 2.0 | Rogue Fitness

Are there major differences between the two bars (SS & b&r)? All I can see is the diameters are half a mm different. What else am I missing?
    Yes, that is one of the bars I was talking about. For almost the same price, the SS bar is far superior in my opinion. They're both going to be strong enough, but the knurl on the SS bar is better, the sleeves roll smoother, and I like the surface finish more. For a guy like me with small hands, a half a millimeter means a lot.

The SS bar is only $15 extra, but it would probably be worth an extra $50 at least.
    Last edited by AndrewLewis; 01-03-2021 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Clarity

starting strength coach development program
    The assembly style indicates it's a commonly manufactured bar made out of weak steel. Having not touched it, I'd also assume the knurling is extremely soft.

Yes, that is one of the bars I was talking about. For almost the same price, the SS bar is far superior in my opinion. They're both going to be strong enough, but the knurl on the SS bar is better, the sleeves roll smoother, and I like the surface finish more. For a guy like me with small hands, a half a millimeter means a lot.

The SS bar is worth the extra $15.

Thanks. Where can I get the SS bar? I don't see it in the Shop page of the SS website.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast