starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bench recommendations

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Has anyone tried strengthshop's gear?
    I'm looking for a bench and a barbell too and their prices are almost too good to be true.
    They're all sold out for now but they'll restock eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    I don’t think I even looked at the Bulldog Bench would be interesting to see how it compares. Which one did you go for and what was the price including delivery ?I looked at the Bulldog barbells but they didn’t have any stock which is how I ended up with an ATX bar and bench. Just had to get the best available at the time and I’m pleased with the bench, but the barbell turned out to be faulty, it’s getting replaced soon so good service which is equally important.

Im going to modify my bench with a 10” wide top eventually, but it’s good for now.
    #metoo

Went for the bulldog 2 which is about five hundred quid and looks better than what I used in the gym. I plan on using it for a long time so it was worth it for me.

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Sib View Post
    #metoo

Went for the bulldog 2 which is about five hundred quid and looks better than what I used in the gym. I plan on using it for a long time so it was worth it for me.

Thanks again
    Adjustable bench. Looks the business. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kostas Theodorakis View Post
    I'm looking for a bench and a barbell too and their prices are almost too good to be true.
    Only the lever belt-not great quality but does the job. I believe some of the bars were just cheap Chinese bolt on sleeve jobs ? I’d probably advise something different. Trouble is we don’t have many options. I’d wondered why US bars seemed thin on the ground-probably because we have slung a 25% tariff on them due to the trade agreement between the EU and the US not being renewed.

If you want a bar quickly I think you might be able to get hold of the bar that I’m getting as a return for the ATX Gold bar with the faulty sleeve. ATX Competition Powerlifting Bar[/url]

It’s 29mm and coated, so not as nice as a 28.5mm bar (or raw steel). However it’s still a good quality bar. The slightly cheaper option that I would have preferred because it’s just black oxide type coating and is 28.5mm is a cheaper Rogue alternative is their RAM bar-almost as good, with the advantage/disadvantage of a less aggressive knurl depending on taste, or whether you are intending to do Olympic lifts. However it’s not in stock.

The Bulldog bar looks a good option. It is patterned after the Rogue as well, but has composite bearings which I’m told spin a little better than plain bronze. It’s also 28.5mm so that suits me. Not in stock though.

Finally there’s Rogue power bar of which more than enough has been written. It is available from Europe so cheaper than a direct import from the US because of the 25% tariff which essentially kills the US bar market in Britain once you add on taxes, duty and shipping. Very annoying.

PS there is the Eleiko Power bar if you have won the lottery.

Quote Originally Posted by Kostas Theodorakis View Post
    I got their bastard bar, aside from the odd name it is good enough and certainly good for the price.

Adjustable bench. Looks the business. Enjoy.
    Thank you!

I got their bastard bar, aside from the odd name it is good enough and certainly good for the price.

Thank you!
    Is it bolted or circlipped ?

Is it bolted or circlipped ?
    Honestly I'm not familiar with the difference

Honestly I'm not familiar with the difference
    Cheap bars have the sleeves bolted to the bar. This often comes loose. It’s a cheap way of building a barbell. Good quality barbells use either cir-clips and a collar mechanism, or interference pins. The original bastard bar was pretty sneaky. It used a circlip to hold the decorative end cap in place, which made buyers think it was constructed with circlip and collars, but one the cap was removed it was just a bolt. I’ve hear rumours it’s no longer made like that, but I’ve yet to see the evidence.

Just got my replacement competition powerlifting bar from ATX. Very nice. I would still like a thinner bar, but I have to say I’m looking forward to blasting this one.

Cheap bars have the sleeves bolted to the bar. This often comes loose. It’s a cheap way of building a barbell. Good quality barbells use either cir-clips and a collar mechanism, or interference pins. The original bastard bar was pretty sneaky. It used a circlip to hold the decorative end cap in place, which made buyers think it was constructed with circlip and collars, but one the cap was removed it was just a bolt. I’ve hear rumours it’s no longer made like that, but I’ve yet to see the evidence.

Just got my replacement competition powerlifting bar from ATX. Very nice. I would still like a thinner bar, but I have to say I’m looking forward to blasting this one.
    Ah I see. I'm not sure, it doesn't feel as good as the ohio bar i was using at the gym but it's good enough for now. I am just very happy to be able to train again. I will be getting the ss bad when they start international shipping again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast