starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bench recommendations

Default Bench recommendations

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Anyone in the UK have bench recommendations? There are so many options and I'm unfamiliar with a lot of the brands. All advice appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Sib View Post
    Anyone in the UK have bench recommendations? There are so many options and I'm unfamiliar with a lot of the brands. All advice appreciated.
    I bought a generic ATX pro bench. It’s standard width, not what Rip advocates, but it’s decent. Only the feet are bolted on, the rest of the frame is welded construction. It’s nice and stable. ATX Flat Bench FBX-610

It's a piece of junk. And 10 inches IS the standard width for a flat bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Thank you. There are so many poor options I might just import the ss bench. Even with the huge shipping fee to usps it is still good value.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Yeah right. OK Rip whatever. It’s just a bench. Everything is apparently a piece of junk unless you designed it. There are many worse benches than this one. It does the job, it’s reasonably priced in the U.K. and it arrives in a couple of days. It doesn’t flex, it’s stable on the floor and the quality is pretty good. Now, why don’t you suggest a rack thats readily available to someone living in Britain, which is readily available and at a reasonable price rather than sniping ? No you won’t, because you never do. It’s much easier just to call everything a piece of junk and not offer an alternative. For someone who just wants people to train and get stronger it’s a very negative approach. Basically, buy an SS bench or you can’t train properly. Silly.

In the UK Bulldog Gear have a bunch of options which are similar to the Rogue/REP benches you’ve likely seen - flat and adjustable available. The stuff from them I’ve used has been OK.

The best weight benches in the UK: My top 5 picks '-' Peck me out

ATX as Nokian posted also available. I’ve got some of their kit and it’s all been good so far.

If you want an adjustable bench Absolute Performance will sell you an imported Legend bench as well.

Ss bench isn't shipping internationally right now. Every bench I can find in the UK is 12 inches. If anyone sees anything that might be of use to track a decent one down that would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    Yeah right. OK Rip whatever. It’s just a bench. Everything is apparently a piece of junk unless you designed it. There are many worse benches than this one. It does the job, it’s reasonably priced in the U.K. and it arrives in a couple of days. It doesn’t flex, it’s stable on the floor and the quality is pretty good. Now, why don’t you suggest a rack thats readily available to someone living in Britain, which is readily available and at a reasonable price rather than sniping ? No you won’t, because you never do. It’s much easier just to call everything a piece of junk and not offer an alternative. For someone who just wants people to train and get stronger it’s a very negative approach. Basically, buy an SS bench or you can’t train properly. Silly.
    I didn't say it doesn't do the job. I just said it's a piece of junk, which it is. I do not design pieces of junk.

Quote Originally Posted by CrouchingWayne View Post
    In the UK Bulldog Gear have a bunch of options which are similar to the Rogue/REP benches you’ve likely seen - flat and adjustable available. The stuff from them I’ve used has been OK.

The best weight benches in the UK: My top 5 picks '-' Peck me out

ATX as Nokian posted also available. I’ve got some of their kit and it’s all been good so far.

If you want an adjustable bench Absolute Performance will sell you an imported Legend bench as well.
    Thank you Wayne and Nockian. I went with the bulldog bench after some research and really appreciate you both pointing me to these options and sharing your experience. I have an old piece of crap dumbell bench that rattles around that just won't be safe at all. I really wanted to avoid picking something unsuitable and it's hard to tell when the shops are closed and you haven't tried it yourself.

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you Wayne and Nockian. I went with the bulldog bench after some research and really appreciate you both pointing me to these options and sharing your experience. I have an old piece of crap dumbell bench that rattles around that just won't be safe at all. I really wanted to avoid picking something unsuitable and it's hard to tell when the shops are closed and you haven't tried it yourself.
    I don’t think I even looked at the Bulldog Bench would be interesting to see how it compares. Which one did you go for and what was the price including delivery ?I looked at the Bulldog barbells but they didn’t have any stock which is how I ended up with an ATX bar and bench. Just had to get the best available at the time and I’m pleased with the bench, but the barbell turned out to be faulty, it’s getting replaced soon so good service which is equally important.

Im going to modify my bench with a 10” wide top eventually, but it’s good for now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast